Should I go for a GH2 or Canon XA-10 for run and gun? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Should I go for a GH2 or Canon XA-10 for run and gun?

I'm about to start a project where I'll be doing a lot filming on the road with traveling agricultural workers. I have a Panasonic HMC-150 which I like but I want something smaller I can use when on the move. I want something where the footage can match the HMC-150 so I can use footage from both in the same film.

I'm trying to decide between the GH2 or the Canon XA-10.

On the one hand, the GH2 has a larger sensor and gets a better image. On the other hand, there is no headphone jack so the only way I can check audio while filming is to getting something additional, a Beachtek or Zoom 4N. The Canon XA-10 on the other hand has XLR inputs and is not that much larger. Given the fact I'll be solo, I'm leaning towards that.

Thoughts on this? Should I reconsider?

Last edited by Noam Osband; July 3rd, 2012 at 10:04 PM.
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Should I go for a GH2 or Canon XA-10 for run and gun?

If it were me, I'd go with the XA-10. You mentioned all the reasons why. I like using the right tool for the job and this job sounds like it's made for the Canon.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Noam

I love to going against Don now and again so I still think that a GH1 or GH2 would be neat and would also match the HMC150 very well!! My GH1 footage is pretty nice (it does have the B-hack installed so it's filming a a big frame rate!!)

Sadly I'm also like you and tend to gravitate towards getting pristine audio so when audio is an issue I do like decent XLR inputs and control on the camera...Pity the HMC40 doesn't have XLR ..that would be a nice match and it's compact too but you would have to buy the extra XLR adaptor that doesn't come with the camera.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 10:20 PM   #4
Trustee

XA10 - smaller, lighter and faster.

A rigged up GH2 will equal the size of the HMC150, so that would defeat the purpose.
Audio is definitely an issue if you don't rig up.
You don't have to learn a new shooting style.
Old July 4th, 2012, 05:00 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Sareesh is right here!!

I doubt whether you will feel comfortable shooting with a DSLR...I have a GH1 that has it's firmware hacked and shoots incredible video BUT it still doesn't handle like a video camera! It too has very much domestic audio..just a single input!! I'm used to (and depend on) my XLR's on my HMC's and the fact that I can adjust levels without going into a menu...if the level needs adjusting then I can adjust it with the level control on the camera! If I need ambient audio and a lav for audio then I can use the Rode mic and still have the other channel free for a receiver.

I think a lot of people under estimate audio!! The XA-10 is only a single chip sensor as far as I know but it does seem to have neat low light performance... the HMC40 is a 3 chip camera and a tad cheaper so you could get yourself the XLR box and keep within the same costs.

Chris
Old July 4th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam Osband View Post
Thoughts on this? Should I reconsider?
Run and gun? xa-10 for sure, the camera will give you sharp footage, performs very well in low light and has good audio and if you have no time to set up it will perform very well in automode, forget about the gh2 unless you need shallow dof.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hey Noa

The very reason I dumped the Panasonic AC-130's was the fact they were worse than useless in auto..If the XA-10 is good in auto then that's great for run 'n gun...People seldom realise that sometimes you just don't have time to fiddle with camera settings and you need a camera that you can use like a handicam and just point and shoot but still get professional results.

Chris
Old July 5th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #8
Trustee

I would go with GH, even though it will require sound setup and additional hassle related to that, but still,
it’ll give you better picture, better low light with fast lenses and beautiful shallow depth of field,
i would never use a camcorder for documentary, but that's me

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition