HDSLR vs. Camcorder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old October 30th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #16
New Boot

Re: HDSLR vs. Camcorder

Thanks, guys! It looks like I have some research to do on finding the right camcorder.
James H. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
The Panasonic AG-AC90 looks like it's going to be a good camera, but it isn't available yet. The new $1999 Sony HXR-NX30 is available right now
The ac90 is a few 100 euro cheaper then the nx30 in my country and eventhough cameramanufacturers continue to forget to add nd filters the AC90 seems like a much better deal, it at least looks like a real videocamera with a lot more functionality. If it performs as good as I have heared there is no other competitor that offers the same for that price.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 06:56 AM   #18
Trustee

If you do decide to shoot with your existing 5D2, here's a tip for focusing this kind of shoots. Put a small dot in the center of the mat, and arrange a circle of dots around it (around 10 feet radius?) Pre-focus the distance from the circle to the center dot, you always stand on the circle, and the action will always be on the center dot. If the action moves away from the center dot, adjust your position accordingly by taking a step closer or farther.

Using this technique, concentrate on your framing and your position on the circle. You'll never have to touch the focus as long as you're anywhere on the circle and your action is on the center dot.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:39 PM   #19
Major Player

A very nice comment by Warren Kawamoto.

Try your 5D with a 24-105 f4 L IS USM lens with IS on. I find that this lens is much better and easier to handhold and move around. When on tripod, I use the EF 24-70 f2.8 L USM lens.

The 100mm f2.8 L IS USM macro lens is a pretty sharp lens and the IS is very good. However, since you are shooting people, the 100mm fixed focal length may be a problem at times. Since you are using the 5D II with full frame sensor, you may still pull it off with some compromise.

The 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM is also very sharp with great IS. However, it is heavy and I only feel good when I mate it with a heavy body like my 1D Mark IV.

All these three lenses are for barebones shooting as you want. Try the IS feature and it will save you a tons of trouble.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 07:02 AM   #20
Major Player

that nx30 is seriously one of the coolest things I've seen.
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 12:22 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I would recommend looking at the Sony VG20 as it will give you the DSLR look you want and the camcorder feel and function. The OSS is so good on this camera rarely ever use a tripod anymore.
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:38 AM   #22
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
If you do decide to shoot with your existing 5D2, here's a tip for focusing this kind of shoots. Put a small dot in the center of the mat, and arrange a circle of dots around it (around 10 feet radius?) Pre-focus the distance from the circle to the center dot, you always stand on the circle, and the action will always be on the center dot. If the action moves away from the center dot, adjust your position accordingly by taking a step closer or farther.

Using this technique, concentrate on your framing and your position on the circle. You'll never have to touch the focus as long as you're anywhere on the circle and your action is on the center dot.
This was some of the best advice I've gotten about shooting video. Thanks, Warren! I'm now shooting all of the videos inside of an MMA cage and allows for better space management.

I also went ahead and explained this to the demonstrators and that made a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
A very nice comment by Warren Kawamoto.

Try your 5D with a 24-105 f4 L IS USM lens with IS on. I find that this lens is much better and easier to handhold and move around. When on tripod, I use the EF 24-70 f2.8 L USM lens.

The 100mm f2.8 L IS USM macro lens is a pretty sharp lens and the IS is very good. However, since you are shooting people, the 100mm fixed focal length may be a problem at times. Since you are using the 5D II with full frame sensor, you may still pull it off with some compromise.

The 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM is also very sharp with great IS. However, it is heavy and I only feel good when I mate it with a heavy body like my 1D Mark IV.

All these three lenses are for barebones shooting as you want. Try the IS feature and it will save you a tons of trouble.
Definitely going to give this a try. I have only been using prime lenses so far. Thanks, Sabyasachi!
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:56 AM   #23
New Boot

So, I ended up purchasing a Manfrotto 561B monopod and a Z-Finder that are working great for my needs. Using Warrens advice and having the additional points of contact have really made a huge difference and I'm pleased with the results.

However, now I'd like a camcorder that I can setup above the cage and record my private lessons (around 1 hour). I tried with with my 5D2, but it could only record 20 minute videos, and it's too inconvenient to get to every 20 minutes. Would this task be better suited for a camcorder? I'm interested in the GoPro Hero3 Black, because it would be really easy to mount it anywhere in the gym. But what do you guys think? Any suggestions for a sub-$500 camcorder (or reasons why I need a more expensive camera)?

Thanks,
- JT
Old November 24th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Hey, James...Terry Wall here. I also live in "the OC," and if you ever need an experienced shooter to capture YOU, let me know via PM. As for the overhead shot, my Lumix GH2 doesn't have those time limitations as do the Canons (though I hear the MkIII has the ability to shoot longer scenes now). Looks like Warren's comments were quite helpful, but do let me know if you need some footage of you working out.

Cheers!
Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff. Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff!
Terry Wall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition