Ipad3 and YouTube encoding H.264 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old December 10th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Ipad3 and YouTube encoding H.264

Hi, all

I have been using my Ipad3 running the Pinnacle Studio App. I switched from using Adobe Premier Pro CS5 running on a older Dell computer. I am using the Canon 60d camera using the Magic Lantern version 2.3 firmware. I love it. I also got the Hyperdrive UDMA2 HDD device. Check out my Youtube channel capturetheball for a full review and other videos I have produced using the Canon 60d and edited 100% on the Ipad3 using the Pinnacle Studio app.
First, does any one know the bitrate of the Canon 60d? I am thinking it has to be at least 15 or 20mbit.
I have a lot of video shot with a VHS-c camera that I can capture as DV 480 footage and a lot of HDV footage from my Sony Fx-7 MPEG2 which is 1440x1080 60i that i want to edit on my ipad. YouTube says to use H.264, and as high as 50mbit. 8Mbit for standard quality. And a level of High encoding with a VBR. I read another site that says a CBR is better for viewing video on an iPad. Can someone help me sort all this out?
I have been running some encoding tests to see what the best results look like. Adobe Media Encoder v.5 will only encode up to 25Mbit. At that bitrate it takes forever to encode video clips. I am wondering if anything past 10Mbit is that much better quality for all the extra hours of encoding time. I already tried 5mbit and play back on my iPad looks good to me.
What is the difference between Main and high levels? I don't really understand what levels are?

Thanks for any help, thoughts,
John Gerard
John Gerard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition