Are there any compact cameras recording like a good videocamera? - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:17 PM   #106
Major Player

Re: Are there any compact cameras recording like a good videocamera?

Does anybody have made tests of Panasonic DMC-TZ40 and Sony HX20? What difference of image quality on video?
Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:42 PM   #107
Trustee

You saw my tests directly comparing videos from the ZS30 (TZ40) and the Sony Hx9v (you're welcome), in which the Panasonic was clearly superior in video and audio. So, a comparison of the HX9v and the Hx20v is what you need. If the Hx20v is not an improvement over the Hx9v, then you have answer. If it is, then you need more info.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:56 PM   #108
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post
You saw my tests directly comparing videos from the ZS30 (TZ40) and the Sony Hx9v (you're welcome), in which the Panasonic was clearly superior in video and audio. So, a comparison of the HX9v and the Hx20v is what you need. If the Hx20v is not an improvement over the Hx9v, then you have answer. If it is, then you need more info.
I thank you for your reply but ... I'm sorry HX20V have also better lens than the DSC-HX9v... the colors, contrast and sharpness are better.
However the video at University of Virginia Campus is so beautiful. The image is so sharp and crisp that it seems made with RX100. Which were the settings?

PS: Does anybody know when HX50 will ship?

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; May 24th, 2013 at 02:01 AM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #109
New Boot

Late to the party but here's a video shot with a Pentax Q (exterior) and Panasonic LX7:

Both camera have full manual controls, built-in ND filters, hot shoes, and built-in image stabilization. The Panasonic also has 720P/120FPS slow motion, a fast, good zoom (but sensitive to flare), and an EVF option. The Pentax Q also has a built-in intervalometer (including a way to automagically make a movie from the stills), interchangeable lenses, and tripod friendly battery and card doors. It eats batteries though. Both are under $300, the Q significantly so.
Old May 30th, 2013, 06:20 AM   #110
Major Player

I have excluded Sony HX50 in my purchase because reading here and there I have understand it doesn't give more than HX20 in video quality. I'm considering to buy HX20 or another compact as Lumix TZ40. I'd like to see their comparison but what a pity! There is no side by side comparison on Internet between them.
Old May 30th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #111
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
I thank you for your reply but ... I'm sorry HX20V have also better lens than the DSC-HX9v... the colors, contrast and sharpness are better.
However the video at University of Virginia Campus is so beautiful. The image is so sharp and crisp that it seems made with RX100. Which were the settings?

PS: Does anybody know when HX50 will ship?
The Panasonic ZS30 (TZ40) University of Virginia Campus video was shot using Standard Color in P mode, touch spot focus allowing autofocus during shots (you can also fix focus before shooting and it will stay at that focus), and controlling exposure using ev adjustment (a lot). Auto WB. All handheld, and all shot in about an hour total.
Old May 30th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #112
Trustee

This is what you CANNOT do on the Hx50v or Hx20v in *video* mode that you CAN on the ZS30:

1. Change the White Balance. Yes, that is correct. Must be auto.

2. Fix the focus (must be auto).

3. Choose the color mode (no vivid versus standard, B&W).

4. Use many "creative effects", like one color, etc.

5. The Hx20v does not have a touch screen. You cannot do a focus pull while shooting.

There is nothing that the ZS30 cannot do that the Hx50v can.

For a list of what the Sony Hx20v CANNOT do in movie mode, see:

DSC-HX20/HX20V/HX30/HX30V | MENU items not available in some REC modes | Cyber-shot User Guide

Last edited by Mark Rosenzweig; May 30th, 2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old May 30th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #113
Major Player

If I have to be sincere I like a lot the features and options of Lumix TZ40 but I have to be sure about its image quality vs Sony HX20. Camera Labs gives it a no good score about its image quality:
Panasonic Lumix TZ40 / ZS30 vs Canon SX280 vs Sony WX300 | Cameralabs
When I will know its image is better than HX20 I will buy Lumix TZ40.
Old May 30th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #114
Major Player

Adriano, do the attributes that Mark has listed really turn you on? Have you considered ‘handling’ as in how the cameras are to actually use, hold with both hands (or one hand if that’s your preference) and how they slip into the pocket and so on?

And there are two things the HX50v can do that the ZS30 cannot do the first being the HX50v can accept an EVF while to the best of my knowledge that is not possible with the ZS30. The second thing the HX50v does that the ZS30 does not do is to produce colors that please ME.

Both points are extremely important for me. So you see I wouldn’t even consider the ZS30 (even if it came with free beer for a month or more).

Of course this is not to say that Mark’s preference for the ZS30 is wrong; just different that’s all, and that’s a good thing, I reckon. Isn’t it great we are not all the same and that we have choices?

Why not get one of each and make an informed decision based on your own experience. Comparing specifications is fine and dandy but at the end of the day how you (not me nor Mark nor Camera Labs) feel about handling and the end results are all that matter.

You might even decide to keep both!
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #115
Trustee

Let's be clear: the HX50v viewfinder, as far as I can tell, is $449. With the viewfinder, that means you have a $900 camera. And a camera that is not pocketable with the bulky viewfinder. The expensive viewfinder + camera seems absurd (it does not please ME). For that money you can get an excellent dedicated camcorder with more controls that is no bigger.

I agree completely that comparing specs does not give the whole story, for sure. And there is a subjective element to the final product too. Which is why I actually shot a comparative video so you can see for yourself and judge for yourself. Just not of the cameras under question. In the absence of that comparative video - TZ40 versus Hx30v - specs and capabilities (like high-speed mode and white balance set) are relevant, if not everything.

Indeed, how does one determine which video pleases one without actually having video of the same exact scenes at the same time shot by both cameras? That is what we would like to see. And thus anyone who claims they like one camera or another's video color without such a comparison, which is as far as we know nonexistent for the cameras in question, must be based on ?
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:31 AM   #116
Major Player

Dear Mark,
I don't understand fine if Lumix TZ40 has a button to exposure lock or do I have to enter into the options? Do you know if in Sony HX20 there is it?
Old May 31st, 2013, 03:54 PM   #117
Trustee

The way it works on the ZS30 (TZ40): it is a menu option. You either allow autofocus to be on while shooting or off. If the latter the focus is fixed at the point when you start the shot (which you can set using finger spot focus on the touch screen, for example) and will never move. Autofocus in video (if you select that) has the usual tracking options.

There is no option about focus in movie mode that I can find on the Hx20v, or Hx50v or Hx9v except maybe face-recognition.
Old June 1st, 2013, 11:03 AM   #118
Inner Circle

If the Panasonics have spot focus/exposure, that would be a VERY handy feature, IMO...

I'm used to it on the higher end CX/PJ Sonys, and it is one thing I miss on the Cybershots that aren't touchscreen. It's funny how quick one gets used to certain camera features (like having a touchscreen, for those things it does well!).

THIS is why "hands on" becomes vitally important - because of having used prior HXx00 series cameras, I literally can manipulate the HX300 in the dark (just did last night!). Would it be nifty if it had touchscreen and maybe more of "this" or "that"... maybe... but I find it to be very comfortable to use and efficient to shoot with. I tried the HX9, and just couldn't "get" the smaller form factor - it did not "connect" for me, even though I shoot other Sonys... But I seem to manage with the even more compact (and crammed full of adjustments) RX100. And I'll admit to TRYING to make "touchsceen adjustments" only to realize the camera in hand doesn't HAVE those... DOH!

One CANNOT just look at "samples" as I've previously pointed out - too many variables. One CANNOT just read and randomly interpret "reviews", they are "opinions" by a user who may have had little time to learn how to optimize a particular camera.

YES, it's not a bad idea to do SOME research before you go to the camera store (either offline or on), but in the end YOU still have to be happy with the image quality you can achieve once you learn how to best use the camera, and must be the one who is happy with how it 'handles", and how it fits your intended style of use!

There is not a "one camera for every user" out there, PERIOD. There isn't a "one camera does it all" (and does it all well) solution... There ARE an increasing number of compact P&S still cameras that ALSO shoot darn fine HD video and fit in your pocket so you always have a reasonably high quality image capture device at your fingertips.

In the end, the camera you have WITH YOU when opportunity gives you the "perfect shot" is the ONLY one that counts! And of course having a camera you are comfortable with and can adjust to GET that perfect shot or clip is a big part of the consideration!

I know these aren't video, but here are a couple shots that just presented themselves... the moon shot would not have been possible without the insane zoom on the HX300 (and the easy EV adjustment was also needed, as was a braced position!), the other was a long exposure, again something that not every camera will have... I put these up to illustrate that not everyone has the same "expectations" of their camera, and that sometimes you want more creative control.
Attached Thumbnails
Are there any compact cameras recording like a good videocamera?-dsc00369.jpg   Are there any compact cameras recording like a good videocamera?-dsc00379c.jpg  

Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2013, 05:40 AM   #119
Major Player

Hello, I have found a good price for Sony HX20 on Amazon. It is 240 euros. I have just verified at shop in my town and its price is 330 euros. On Amazon I have read some reviews by users and they tell Amazon buys the camera from China. Will it be true? Is there the origin printed on the camera?

This is the review on Amazon:
"The product is Made in China, as opposed to what I had seen on other stores.
Sony has confirmed to me that there were two different productions, so this explains different origins and the difference of price on Sony.com".
Old June 2nd, 2013, 06:44 AM   #120
Inner Circle

Of all the things that have been identified there are a few missing as needed for me in a small pocketable camera intended for capturing real events. How quick from pocket will it take a good photo or video and do you already own accessories that would fit the new camera. ( In my case I had batteries and travel charger for Sony so got the HX30V ). In this situation my expectation is everything is in auto. Power on, point and shoot. If there is time for a set up then the choices now move to a lot of cameras with manual controls etc etc that can fit in a small bag. If video is important a video camera that will shoot stills is now on the list and will shoot better video etc etc. One of the new small Sony's with projector is a good travel cam and you can look at your own as well as other peoples shots on the wall. I take on my ski trips the HX30V, NX30U and a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition all fit in a small bag for travel. On the hill its the GoPro on my helmet and the HX30V in my pocket. For real, handheld video its the NX30U and to go out in the evening the HX30V is again in my pocket.

If absolute performance is your aim then you will need to spend more money than you are looking at with these small cameras. But for most people they will not see the difference if viewed on computer or TV.

These small cameras are not expensive so buy two of them and then sell the one you do not like as much. You will be a lot further ahead than keep asking questions and looking at video or stills from test sites.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition