Are there any compact cameras recording like a good videocamera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old April 19th, 2013, 03:20 AM   #1
Major Player

Are there any compact photo cameras recording like a good videocamera?

Hi, I'm sorry for this question.
Are there any compact photo cameras recording good HD 1080i video like a good videocamera (around like Sony nx5u)?
thanks

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; April 19th, 2013 at 06:45 AM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 03:51 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Are there any compact cameras recording like a good videocamera?

Sure, if you stay in the sony camp you will find users that claim the current high end sony handicams perform equally good and even better then the nx5 in certain situations, like low light.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 06:46 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm sorry but I mean photo cameras.
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Read too fast :) In that case the Panasonic gh3 maybe, it does have a higher resolution image and less moire then canon t4i alike camera's.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #5
New Boot

How compact? Are you talking the kind you can slip in your pocket, or a "bridge" tyep camera? I would say the Nikon P520 (US designation). It shoot full 1080p with stereo sound. Another is the Canon Powershot SX50 HS, it also does 1080p with stereo sound. The nice thing about the Nikon is that it has GPS tagging.
Rick Busse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I have the Sony HX30V ( same as the HX20V really) that takes really good video even 60P. http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...52921666429167 match to my CX700, NX30 which in lots of instances are better than my NX5U. I shoot 60P all the time with all these 3 small Sony's. The HX30V will fit in your pocket easily. I think there may be a new model coming out too.

Ron Evans

Last edited by Ron Evans; April 19th, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Awfully hard to beat the Panasonic GH3 although it's slightly larger than compact. Mine out shoots my Sony EX1r which I've now sold.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Inner Circle

If you're talking "pocketable", Sony makes several fairly good 1080 60p options - the RX100 is very manually controllable, the other cybershot options don't have as much control, but include the (retired) TX100V, TX200V, the HX's Ron mentioned, the HX100, HX200. Current models include the HX300, and the rumour is there is an HX50 coming soon.

Also there's a forum thread on the GW77 - VERY pocketable, and it's a video camera, with "some" still capability. The upper end of the PJ and CX Handycams are also pretty nice, and capable of stills.

If still quality is the priority, the RX100 is actually worth the semi-crazy price, but there are cheaper options that will get you more than acceptable video, from Sony and other brand compacts.

Lots of options in the "compact" department nowadays, so perhaps some idea of your budget and needs/expectations might help!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #9
Major Player

The Sony Alpha NEX series seems to fit your requirements. The latest versions of the NEX 3.5.6 & 7 all still offer 1080i/60 recording formats. There are plenty of sample clips on the web to assess the camera's (rather than the shooters') abilities.
The current models are available with the short 16-50 lens that makes the whole camera fairly easy to carry in a pocket as a 'vacation' camera. For more specific video applications, other lens can be carried.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I think the OP needs to decide how he will use this camera. If he just needs a compact camera to carry around that will take video that could mix with his NX5U then he may come to the same conclusion I did for the little Sony. I bought my daughters the HX10V which shoots 60i and I wanted the HX20 which never came to Canada so I got the HX30V. I have used with my CX700 in a shoot I cannot tell the difference between them. If anything the HX30V video is better. Weakness is video in really low light compared to a real video camera. Perfectly acceptable though for shooting family around a table in a restaurant at night though. For about $400 the HX30V has 20x optical zoom, Active optical steadyshot, object focus tracking in still and video modes,face detection, GPS, compass and WiFI etc. I take it with me on my ski trips with the GoPro Hero 3. They both go in a small bag in my carry-on complete with chargers and batteries that is smaller than a single Handycam in its bag!!!

If the intent is to have something with different still camera capabilities then moving up the cost curve one has to decide how much money to spend. The closest in cost is likely the NEX3, a little bigger, APS-C sensor and missing a lot of the features I just mentioned for about $100 more.

If you are not a Sony fan then other manufacturers have similar products. If you want to match video colour balance with the NX5U then a Sony may be easier .

I have a NX5U, NX30, CX700, XR500, SR11 and they all match well with the HX30V.

Ron Evans
Old April 20th, 2013, 02:23 AM   #11
Major Player

Dear Ron Evans,
you have confused my ideas instead of clarifying them. ;)
But I'm happy for your words and your suggestions because they are growing my ideas.
My budget is around 1000 euro and now I have two options:
to buy a compact photo camera with its problems in low light and ... I think some focusing problem in daily light too..... or to buy a good handycam like a Sony CX700 or CX730.... or? Is a new handycam coming out?
Are there other options?
Repeat: I'd like to get a video quality a little bit better than a Sony nx5u. With it I will take documentaries around the world.
I thank you again one.
Old April 20th, 2013, 06:45 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
to buy a compact photo camera with its problems in low light and ... I think some focusing problem in daily light too..... ...
The low light performance of the HX30V is not that bad, not much worse than a NX5U, just not as good as the CX700 or NX30 and the focusing is definitely easier than the NX5U with an autofocus that actually works very well !!! All these little cameras work best in auto or semi auto mode and that includes the CX700 and NX30. If your focus is on the still performance then an NEX would be the choice. If it is on quality still and video performance 1000 Euro is likely not enough for a new camera to meet you needs and the GH3 would be a choice but a lot more expensive by the time you bought a set of lenses and much bigger to carry around.

Ron Evans
Old April 20th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #13
Trustee

The best small, compact camera for video, including low-light, is the Panasonic LX7. Full manual mode in video, and 1080p. RAW stills, f1.4 lens. See, for example:

and

If you need a pocketable 20X zoom, the Panasonic ZS30 (TZ40) also has 108060p and fine video:

and

A bigger camera with an extended zoom that is f2.8 all the way (25mm-600mm) , 108060p, mic-in, full manual control of video and RAW stills is the Panasonic FZ200:

Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #14
Inner Circle

There are several considerations - low light is one, but also audio, and how good you need the stills function to be vs. the video. How much "support" gear will you need to shoot and get good results...

It's good to see the Panasonic samples, I've used Pannys a few times, and always liked them, they have a different "look" from Sony, but certainly worth considering.

My take would be if handheld video is the MAIN consideration, one of the PJ/CX7xx series with the magic eyeball (NX30 is very similar to the PJ760), is hard to beat - very compact, very stable handheld footage, passable manual control, with excellent "auto" once you learn to operate it and tweak as needed. Not sure I'd rely on it much for stills, but I haven't even tested that function (too many disappointments in the past I guess!).

BUT, as Ron points out, the compact "point and shoot" is smaller, lighter, and more discreet - this would go for either Sony or Panasonics - and while you'll lose a couple stops of sensitivity, these little monsters often do a decent job. Remember they are going to have typically a 1/4" class sensor, wide depth of field, and you can only expect so much from a "pocket" camera!

I mentioned the Sony RX100 previously as it is currently in a class by itself, with a larger "1 inch" sensor, so it's a sort of "P&S on steroids", and it DOES have nearly full manual control on both stills and video - it took me a while to find all the functions, it's a SMALL camera, so getting to controls and figuring out how to work them takes a while to be honest! BUT, it's a surprisingly powerful camera with image quality closer to a SLR on the stills, and once you sort out how to set it, pretty good video. I've seen some "documentary" stuff shot with it, so it's doable.

If you are just documenting your travels for family and friends, a truly pocketable cam may be the best, as it's easier to take everywhere - this is where I'm finding the RX100 to be a nice fit - the image quality is definitely above the "P&S" category, but it's still a "pocket" cam. A little limited in the zoom department, but otherwise worth considering if stills are a larger part of the equation.

It's tough to find a "all in one" solution, but these tiny cameras are getting pretty close to "doing it all" and doing it well enough to get results you won't be ashamed of if you are particular about image quality! A lot has happened in just a few short years, to where the older "pro" cameras start to show their age against the new consumer grade stuff!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Just to add to Dave's comments. The sensors on some of the small P&S cameras are small but the HX30V is a 18Mpixel 1/2.3 ", same as the TZ40, the LX7 is a 10 Mpixel 1/1.7 and as Dave says the RX100 is a 20Mpixel 1" sensor. All large sensors compared to most camcorders. The CX700/NX30 etc for instance is a 1/2.88 6Mpixel sensor. You see the camcorders have less pixels so that the low light performance with higher shutter speeds is better. The still cameras have more pixels for higher resolution still photos. Downside for video is possibility of moire on fine detail etc . Pays your money makes your choice !!! The RX100 and LX7 have about a 3+x zoom the HX30 is 20x . I find that useful. The rumored HX50V is supposed to have a 30x zoom. To have a longer zoom with a large sensor means a bigger lens, costs more and is physically bigger. Need a bigger pocket then !!! The LX7 is a good choice for compromise between video a stills if you do not think you need the zoom range.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition