DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Stills camera and video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/517540-stills-camera-video.html)

Martin Redfern July 2nd, 2013 04:50 PM

Stills camera and video

Since a previous thread stated COMPACT I thought I had better start afresh.
I have been looking for so long......... I no longer cover weddings (VIDEO), I just want to make good home / holiday video and stills. I didn't want to have to have a camcorder (probably Canon HF G30 AND a stills camera. I looked at Ron's suggestions (thanks) and concluded that the compact's were too small.Also, must have EVF! NEX 6, looks good, good grip, just let down by a few things incl No ext audio jack (refer imaging-resource.com) - hoped a replacement would be out soon. Lumix G6 (in some ways improves upon GH3) must try one out. BUT I have just come across the Canon 70D - NEW sensor Dual Pixel CMOS AF - Phase Detection off sensor - Live / video shooting - 30% faster AF incl Fast Moving Objects. Size looks good, unless you want a CSC mirrorless. EXT mic jack + quick return HALF mirror - LCD 170 deg.
I think I have made my mind up already. OUT August.

Martin

Bill Bruner July 7th, 2013 06:59 AM

Re: Stills camera and video

Yes, the 70D looks like an impressive still/video camera. I have a soft spot for Canon - my first still/video DSLR was a Canon T2i/550D, but I left Canon for the Panasonic GH2 in 2010 because of the 550D's challenges with moire, its lack of autofocus in video, noisy Canon autofocus motors, lack of a swivel LCD, and limited continuous recording time.

Over time, Canon has fixed almost all of these problems (with the exception of moire and the continuous recording time limit) - but in 2012, I stayed with Panasonic and got a GH3 because you still can't get a splashproof Canon camera with a headphone jack for less than the price of a 5D Mark III. And the GH3 shoots at 1080/50p (60p in the States) - something no Canon still/video camera can do.

I might be convinced to come back to Canon for the 70D, if the moire problem is fixed. But the 70D's lack of a headphone jack, weather sealing and the 30 minute continuous recording limit in the U.S. are still big issues, at least for me, so I will probably stay with the GH3.

That said, if I didn't need the GH3's all-metal splashproof body or the headphone jack, I would probably get the £550 Panasonic G6 - a lot less expensive than the 70D. The G6 is available now, and it shoots at 1080/50p (60p in the States) for smooth action and slow motion.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Martin Redfern July 10th, 2013 02:05 PM

Re: Stills camera and video

I didn't mention that my Video camera was a Canon XM2 / GL2 - an excellent camera. Auto was fine. Really, if I needed to do more than home video I would get a Camcorder - too much effort in most cameras and so much hype put on the depth of field even by hobbyists. Each to their own.
I have just watched a 70D review by CameraProTV on YouTube - very good and the Canon own are v good.

I have seen the Pana G6 advertised - the reviewer said some things were better than the GH3. I guess we can't expect the autofocus to be as good? Do you do a lot of all weather work? The 70 D shows audio levels? I guess not the same as hearing it. I would hang an external mic - I have a Senneiser - on the 70D or other. I hope the moire is overcome and I don't mind about the 30 minute limit.

I have looked at the GH3 reviews - ? concern over moire? - nno peeking - rear dial is rubbery and need to turn on one edge - white balance kicks in after chang to recordn- crops video more than GH2 did - no 50p ??

Do you like the MFT?

Regards,

Martin