Sony HXR-MC2000 or Panasonic AG-AC8 or JVC GY-HM70 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old January 7th, 2014, 05:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony HXR-MC2000 or Panasonic AG-AC8 or JVC GY-HM70

I'm currently looking to purchase several cameras and I'm currently looking at either Sony HXR-MC2000 or Panasonic AG-AC8 or JVC GY-HM70. I know there are better cameras then these, but I'm wanting something in this price range.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on which is the best out of the three?

Thanks
Matt
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 06:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony HXR-MC2000 or Panasonic AG-AC8 or JVC GY-HM70

Out of those three, I'd choose the AC8.

From what I've seen, it has the best picture quality. It also has the best lens, with a zoom range of 21x.

The Sony is getting a bit old now and doesn't do 1080p50, if that's important to you.

The one interesting thing about the JVC is the slowmo, but the picture quality deteriorates badly when using it.
Old January 8th, 2014, 10:14 AM   #3
Major Player

I owned a Sony MC2000, basically a low end consumer camera stuck into a shoulder mounted form factor, I didn't like it much, it wasn't good in low light either.

I dont have any experience of the other cameras mentioned.
Old January 8th, 2014, 02:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I was looking through the reviews of the MC2000 and JVC this afternoon and decided against them, still not convinced in the AG-AC8 either though, not much footage around.

Do many places allow you to buy and try it out and return if it won't work for what you need it for?
Old January 8th, 2014, 06:48 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cantwell View Post
I owned a Sony MC2000, basically a low end consumer camera stuck into a shoulder mounted form factor, I didn't like it much, it wasn't good in low light either.
I think similar could be said of them all - I'm afraid it's a case of you get what you pay for..........
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 01:32 AM   #6
Inner Circle

A friend of mine has just bought an AC-8 and seems pretty pleased with it...it's probably got the most up to date sensor but again you must not expect it to perform the same as a $10K camera ... they give a lot of bang for buck but you will have to use a light in dingy places.

If you can up your budget the AC-90 is maybe somewhat better with backlit chips and also very clean gain and still under $2000

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:51 AM   #7
Major Player

I may indeed get a AC-90 along with a AC8 for B-Roll/2nd Camera for Events.

I already own a DSLR (550D with ML installed) and they don't do it for me for shooting events, as I need a good Zoom, less shallow DOF, to perform well handheld and the occasional good in semi-low light situations. I only ever use my DSLR as a Static camera shooting a wider shot, when shooting an event.

Edit.
Just a thought, how well would the AC8 and AC90 cut together, that's one of the reasons I was wanting to purchase two cameras as for events, I hate being able to tell that the two cameras were different when shooting an event.

Edit.
I'd be happy with an AC8 if it performed as good or better then my Sony Z1, getting tired of tapes, really need to go completely tapeless this year, haha. I'm really open to suggestions of what cameras I could think about, as I'm not that familar with anything other then the DSLRs and "Cinematic" ranges. Ideally, I'm looking for something that has a similar form factor as the Z1 (or bigger ie. Shoulder Mount) and that is card based.

Last edited by Matt Thomas; January 9th, 2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old January 9th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Matt

The AC-8 is the cheaper camera..why not buy one and give it a try and if at worst you hate it, stick it on eBay!!

Personally I find shoulder mount cams the best for events ..I do mostly weddings and bear in mind that the AC-90 is NOT shoulder mount ... I prefer identical cameras!

LED on camera lights are really cheap and good nowdays ..even TV studios have them as a permanent fixture on their ENG cameras so get used to using one when the light fades ... the PowerLED lights are excellent and most of the time you are simply using the light as a fill as all are now dimmable.

Chris
Old January 10th, 2014, 05:20 AM   #9
Major Player

I'm tempted to get two AC-90 but the NTSC models that are in stock in the UK as there around £400 - £500 cheaper here, but I know I'd be limited to 60, 30 and 24fps but I believe all DVDs players play 30fps nowadays don't they?

The low light on the AC-90 looks a lot better then the AC8 which would be more helpful for me.
Old January 10th, 2014, 08:20 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Matt??

I would definitely stick with a PAL model!! Global Media Pro sell them for GBP 1080.

You will have big hassles filming under 50Hz lighting with a machine designed for 60Hz lighting ... stuff like strip lighting alone with cause issues!!

Chris
Old January 10th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #11
Major Player

Yeah, I will go for a PAL model, thinking about the Panasonic AC90 now though, cheapest I can find a PAL model for this is £1,494.00 from ProAV
Old January 10th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Matt

My list price from Global Media Pro (I have bought lots from them) is 1080 BUT that's without shipping and I assume if you get a camera from overseas you will have to pay VAT???

The reason I never went for AC-90's last year was mainly the fact that there is NO auto control on the XLR channels and at events like weddings the audio levels change so much that trying to do manual audio would be a nightmare. That was a BIG problem for me so I jumped ship to Sony and the EA-50's but they are double the price of the AC-90! Overall, after being a Panasonic user for over 20 years, the AC series just didn't impress me at all! I had two AC-130's after my HMC series cameras and quickly sold them within 3 months.

Before you make a decision, what exactly are you proposing to film?? Maybe a DSLR will do the job for your needs.. they are tough to use handheld but on a tripod they do a good job and there are plenty within your price range too!! I'm a huge fan of shoulder mount cameras and don't think I could shoot successfully with anything else after all this time, but that's just me! If I had bought AC-90's I would have had to buy a complex rig to make it shoulder mount.

Chris
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #13
Major Player

I already have a Canon 550D (bit dated now granted) but they don't suit me when shooting any live events handheld, I'm also not keen on how the handle focusing. I prefer to use DSLR for shoots where you have time to plan your shot and re-do it if needs be.

I'm currently shooting any event work that requires handheld with my Sony Z1 and a Canon 550D as a wide static shot, but I've had enough with tapes.

Edit.
Do you have a link for Global Media Pro? When I go on it, It doesn't seem to work correctly.

Thanks
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:27 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Do you have a link for Global Media Pro? When I go on it, It doesn't seem to work correctly.
Global Media Pro don't list the AC8, only the AC90 (PAL)

Panasonic AG-AC90 AVCHD Camcorder PAL (AG-AC90E AG-AC90EJ, AG-AC90EN, AG-AC90P, AG-AC90PJ)
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #15
Major Player

And they don't list that here in the UK by the looks.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition