I have had it with adobe - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old June 6th, 2014, 10:04 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: I have had it with adobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Munari View Post
I just downloaded DaVinci Resolve 11 Lite and I'll give it a try.
I doubt you downloaded 11 - BMD's site download link still only allows download of 10, at least according to the links I followed.
Old June 6th, 2014, 10:18 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Shaun, you are right, it is 10.1.5. Have you tried it?
Erick Munari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 10:37 AM   #48
Inner Circle

I don't have any edit computers with an appropriate GPU right now and 10 doesn't have the editor yet. It is an 11 release - I saw the demo at SuperMeet at NAB. Pretty simplistic to call it an editor. Might work for cinematic and/or verité where not a lot of advanced editing is required. Reminded me a lot of a 12+ year old editor like Media100.

Consider editing to be an "added bonus" right now in a comprehensive colour suite.
Old June 6th, 2014, 01:16 PM   #49
Trustee

Media 100 - I laughed at that. What a shot. Bulls eye Shaun! Didn't Media 100 come bundled with the Video Toaster?

NLE as a plug in? I must have missed something. Has what we do goton that simple? If that is the case please send me the updated memo so I don't have to grant Adobe permission to reach into my bank account every month. That is not going to happen!

A weekend in Vegas usually costs me a lot more than $499.00. I have plans to update my editing system soon. And then lock it down. A one time investment of $499.00 in Vegas will probably be good until the next time I update the editor sounds like a good investment to me. I have always said no to bi-monthly updates. Maybe Adobe forgot that professionals use their products and they are going after the amateur market that believes they MUST have the latest and greatest of everything to improve their product instead of learning new skills and talents. You know what I'm talking about, those brand new things out there like proper composition and lighting skills. Not to mention video records something called audio. But dammit, I am sure to go out of business if 60 days from now I miss an update that will allow me to access my timeline faster while I wait for access to MY work to get back to me from a cloud!

Steve

Sorry, in one of THOSE moods today ;)
Old June 6th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #50
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Media 100 - I laughed at that. What a shot. Bulls eye Shaun! Didn't Media 100 come bundled with the Video Toaster?
I knew both the Video Toaster and Media100 as freestanding entities - in media college, our linear edit suite was "powered" by Video Toaster running on an Amiga and a Hi-8 dual deck by Sony.

I spent some time editing in Media100 for a client of mine right out of media college. I never got good at it because I couldn't figure out how to "flip" media tracks when adding new media between clips in the A/B-roll style timeline.

What Media100 WAS though was an efficient, relatively inexpensive (compared to AVID) high quality video editor that was light on features but high on quality - I preferred the codec used by Media100 to the available AVID AVR codecs I was using at the time when I was a freelance editor.

To be clear- at the SuperMeet, Resolve 11's editing capabilities were demonstrated as having trim functions and wipe transitions. How 1998! Don't get me wrong, I think it's a valuable addition to a colour suite but to start thinking of it as a full featured edit program at this point is premature for many/most applications. In fact, if anyone else had demonstrated their new editor with that feature set, they'd have been laughed out of the room.

Buy Resolve for the colour suite, not the editing "capabilities". I'm sure a lot of colourists/finishing artists will have use for the new features - I just don't think it meets the 2014 expectations of a standalone editor based on what I have seen so far. It MAY well evolve into a full featured editor, I don't know. But it doesn't meet the needs as I see them for a corporate videographer right now. Your mileage may well vary. But to compare Resolve as an editor to the Adobe Suite is pretty ridiculous.
Old June 7th, 2014, 12:34 PM   #51
Regular Crew

I played with DaVinci Resolve 10 all day yesterday, as Shaun pointed out, a fairly weak system as of yet, I found myself missing Premiere. To be fair, it was very nice to jump right into Resolve's color correction and do far better color treatment then Premiere, but as far as editing, it is missing some key elements that make my editing fast, streamline. I tried FCPX again, found myself missing Premiere. In other words, if I could only address the unacceptable crashings from Premiere, I'd stick with it for a while longer. DaVinci however, may mature in the near or distant future, I'd like to keep an eye on it.
Erick Munari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 02:22 PM   #52
Inner Circle

My understanding of Resolve's editing is that it's an online feature, intended to make adjustments or changes without going back to the off line editor.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #53
Inner Circle

Bryan: it's certainly a grey area, based on the folks I've heard singing its praises but that is how I would currently describe what I saw at the demo, admittedly a brief exposure. Then again, whoever thought taking a dSLR and turning it into a moviemaking device was a good idea and it DID catch on...
Old June 7th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #54
Inner Circle

I suspect it would depend very much on what you intend to edit on it and the complexity of the projects. All NLEs have their strengths and weaknesses. Just as DSLRs can do certain things, but are not so good at other things. It's early days and Vegas started out as an audio editing program, so they may add more editing functions to it over time.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 03:21 PM   #55
Trustee

Shaun,

I was kidding about everything I said in that post except the part about not going to CC.

The video toaster was something I wanted but never owned. It never made it off of my wish list. Who can forget the classic "Charlie's Angles" wipe.

Media 100 was used and respected by a lot of editors in it's day.

Hi-8 - I loved it. In fact a just gave a Sony Hi-8 camcorder to a friend of mine last month. The camera cost me $1,00.00 in it's day. Then I found a box of tapes in my AV bone yard I never digitized. It is scary to think about what might be on them. I will probably borrow the camera back to see if there is anything I want....maybe not. The only certainty is that I will be faced with seeing that I was not as good as I thought I was back then!

After reading so many good comments about Sony Vegas I have decided that will be the direction I am going to go.

Steve
Old June 7th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #56
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Shaun,

I was kidding about everything I said in that post except the part about not going to CC.
Hey Steven, I wasn't being contrary or argumentative (as strange as that may seem to some) - I was just continuing a conversation, possibly a bit stream-of-consciousness mixed with nostalgia.
Old June 7th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #57
Trustee

Yep, I know we were both "getting it". Sometimes I just can't refrain from being a smart A** and people that don't know me wonder what the hell I'm talking about.

There is two Sony SV0 2000 S-VHS decks still hooked up on the top shelf of my edit bay. Every time I think about retiring them to the bone yard some client hands me some old VHS tapes they want digitized so the decks stay there. It happened last month. Archiving is not a service I offer, but I do anything my clients ask of me. Some day I might count all of the format and equipment changes I have worked with. The number is probably bigger than I think. The funny thing is I can still remember going WOW as I worked with each one for the first time.

Steve
Old June 10th, 2014, 10:24 AM   #58
Major Player

It is funny when Premiere was new and considered for beginners I defended Adobe saying for the money it was a good choice. When Premiere went pro and was called a feeble attempt to rip off Final Cut Pro, I stood fast with Premiere update after update patch after patch fix after fix crash after crash. I knew they would eventually have a pro package. When six came out I knew that my loyalty had payed off. I had spent the time and money to learn Premiere and, I was appointed an Adobe Ambassador. Well like Bengaussi I feel like no one is looking out for me so.. I am leaving my post before the inevitable takes place. If anyone starts looking for me I will be in Vegas!
Ron Little is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition