camera help please. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old December 19th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

camera help please.

Hi looked and did research on 1080 i 1080 p and 720 p. The article said can't broadcast in 1080 p . I'm not into broadcasting, but, does that effect dvds i'd like to put out to publicif i did shoot at 108op? I have the xl-2 and want to get a new hd camera without a heavy price tag. I use the xl-2 for railroad videos and have a adobe premiere pro 1.5 . I'd like the camera to shoot in low light and maybe iris control so the video doesn;t get blurrier on playback when in fact it isn't thanks for help .Tom
Thomas Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2015, 05:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: camera help please.

Hi Tom,

I'm not sure quite what your expectations are, but 1080/720 are HD formats and DVDs are strictly SD. you can write short HD files to a DVD, but they will not be read by a standard DVD player. If you want HD playback, you will either need to write to a BluRay disc for playback on a BluRay player, or to a USB drive.

You can certainly film in 1080p, 1080i or 720 etc, but when you write a DVD it will have to be dropped down to SD format. I sometimes film in 4K, but that still needs reducing way down to SD if outputting a DVD.

Camera choice these days is massive, but Sony and Panasonic both have various prosumer cams that balance pretty good low light performance with wide ranging zoom and manual controls. Bear in mind that generally speaking, bigger sensors give better low light performance, so many videographers have turned to dslr and bridge cameras for bigger sensors and flexibility. If you can manage with a maximum continuous recording time of 29 mins, then the Dslr/bridge route would be worth investigating.

Roger

Last edited by Roger Gunkel; December 20th, 2015 at 05:22 AM. Reason: spilling
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2015, 05:47 AM   #3
Inner Circle

It would help if you said what your budget is.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2015, 12:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

i'm looking at putting out commercial dvds for public.Have a xl2 and recording to a data dn 60 machine onto a memory card ( standard def).I guess price range would be as high as $1200-1500.00 depending what i need and don't need. Following is the quality that i'd like to get.

Thomas Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2015, 12:41 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The panasonic ag-ac90 might be an interesting camera for the price: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1061099-REG/panasonic_ag_ac90apj_ag_ac90a_avccam_camcorder.html
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2015, 02:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks for suggestion , will do some research on it , tom
Thomas Walsh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition