DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Handycam with remote control? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/531493-handycam-remote-control.html)

Adriano Moroni March 29th, 2016 02:17 PM

Handycam with remote control?

Hi, I'm looking a handyacm with a remote control for a friend of mine who don't know anything about cameras and videoediting. He is
inexperienced totally, he has to put the the camera on a tripod and to make an auto-interview and to put those files on Youtube (without videoediting).
His budget is max 400 euro. Do you know if there is a Sony or not Sony handycam with a remote control? Thanks

Ron Evans March 29th, 2016 06:52 PM

Re: Handycam with remote control?

I think all the latest Sony's have a Multi interface plug that can be controlled by a Sony tripod for start/stop, zoom and photo taking etc. Not sure of the Euro prices but in North America he could get a CX405 and Sony remote control tripod for less than that. Not the greatest camera but to the budget.

Ron Evans

Dave Blackhurst March 30th, 2016 01:02 AM

Many of the Sony cameras now have the option of being controlled from their phone app via wireless... one other "remote" possibility to double check.

Adriano Moroni April 1st, 2016 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1911667)
I think all the latest Sony's have a Multi interface plug that can be controlled by a Sony tripod for start/stop, zoom and photo taking etc. Not sure of the Euro prices but in North America he could get a CX405 and Sony remote control tripod for less than that. Not the greatest camera but to the budget.

Can you explain better about Sony tripod for start/stop? Do you know it? It seems it has a very short cable. How can be possibile to use it for a auto-interview where the Sony tripod is at a distance of three meters?
Is it possible to use also another cameras with that Sony tripod? I'm thinking about a bit better Sony camera?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 1911690)
Many of the Sony cameras now have the option of being controlled from their phone app via wireless... one other "remote" possibility to double check.

It is too much complicated for my friend. ;)
Thanks for some info.

Ron Evans April 1st, 2016 03:02 PM

Simple attach the Sony camera to the tripod and plug in the cable. Zoom to frame shot and press start or stop while operating from the tripod. If you friend wants to sit in the picture then get one of the cameras that come with a wireless remote control to do the same thing from any tripod.

Ron Evans

Adriano Moroni April 2nd, 2016 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1911878)
Simple attach the Sony camera to the tripod and plug in the cable. Zoom to frame shot and press start or stop while operating from the tripod. If you friend wants to sit in the picture then get one of the cameras that come with a wireless remote control to do the same thing from any tripod.

Maybe you did not undersatnd my poor english. I have just told you that remote control has a very short cable and it is impossible to use it at 3-4 meters.

Out of curiosity. Do you know a videocamera with a remore control? I mean a not very expensive videocamera. He could spend more than 400 euro. Thanks

Ron Evans April 2nd, 2016 06:18 AM

You can just get an adapter cable and extend the remote which on some of the tripods is removable . Or just get a Lanc remote and adapter. He may be better off getting a used camera with a wireless remote. There are lots of 2 or 3 year old camcorders with wireless remotes. Sony, Panasonic and JVC all made camcorders with wireless remotes. Most modern camcorders now have WiFi control from phone rather than a remote. The other option is something like a Sony Action cam with a Live-View remote he can have on his wrist to start and stop. HDR-AS50R Action Cam with Live-View Remote | Sony CA, Helmet Sports Cam | HD Action Camera with Wi-Fi | HDR-AZ1 | Sony CA. If he has a smart phone then this is also an option Mini Video Camera & Music Recorder | 1080p Camcorder | HDR-MV1 | Sony CA

Ron Evans

Adriano Moroni April 2nd, 2016 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1911909)
YThe other option is something like a Sony Action cam with a Live-View remote he can have on his wrist to start and stop. HDR-AS50R Action Cam with Live-View Remote | Sony CA, Helmet Sports Cam | HD Action Camera with Wi-Fi | HDR-AZ1 | Sony CA. If he has a smart phone then this is also an option Mini Video Camera & Music Recorder | 1080p Camcorder | HDR-MV1 | Sony CA

I thank you for your availability. Those interesting options are not for him. He needs a traditional old videocamera. Can you give me (if you know them), 2-3 videocamera models with the traditional wi-fi remote control please? I will try to buy it on Internet. I hope it will be easy to find that used videocamera. Thanks again one.

Ron Evans April 2nd, 2016 07:54 AM

Sony HDR- CX700, Sony HDR-CX550V are ones I know have remote controls and are a few years old now but since they are flash based camcorders should still work fine. The newer models only work with WiFi to smart phones I think. Not sure which model year the camcorders switched. I have a CX700 that I still use now.

Ron Evans

Adriano Moroni April 2nd, 2016 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1911915)
Sony HDR- CX700, Sony HDR-CX550V are ones I know have remote controls and are a few years old now but since they are flash based camcorders should still work fine. The newer models only work with WiFi to smart phones I think. Not sure which model year the camcorders switched. I have a CX700 that I still use now.

1000 thanks. I think he will guy one of them. He has a Rode mic. and I think a those Sony videocameras need an adapter to use that mic. Is it right?
Do you know if Panasonic can use that Rode shoe?

Ron Evans April 2nd, 2016 11:12 AM

I think both cameras have a 1/8 mic input ( don't have a CX550V to see but my CX700 has a mic input ) but the shoe is a recessed multi so will need a cold shoe adapter to attach the Rode mic but it should work in the 1/8 plug. An adapter like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913654-REG/sony_adpmaa_multi_interface_shoe_adapter.html
This is a remote that would also work with any of the new cameras too. VPR1 Remote Control with Multi-Terminal Cable | RM-VPR1 | Sony CA I think you could get a USB extension cable to make the length longer. He could get one of the new cameras with this remote

Ron Evans

Dave Blackhurst April 2nd, 2016 04:02 PM

If my memory is correct, any CX/PJ7xx series (7 followed by two other #'s, EU designated cams are different model #"s) should still have the little wireless remote. The AX100 and CX900 do as well, and are "current", but I think can also be run via the app? I'd have to double check that, but was recently selling an AX100, and tested the remote, it worked fine. I know the AX33 (and I'd guess the upcoming 53?) only used the app/wireless option. I'm guessing all the AX's are "out of the budget", even used.... as are any of the 7xx series, but Sony did make "entry level" consumer cameras that were similar with remotes. Older CX series cameras should be available cheaper.

For any purchase, I'd suggest double checking that a remote is included.... just to be safe. The more "entry level" Sonys that will be more easy to find in the price range you've asked for SHOULD have remotes up until the last (2014ish?) model year or so....The little wireless IR remote is quite simple to operate, I'm a little worried that a smartphone app is "too complicated", it's install the app, connect the camera, and it gives you the ability to start/stop/zoom, and most importantly gives you a remote MONITOR capability. Once set up, it's actually quite slick, and if you have a 7" tablet, it's a nice remote monitor!

A basic USB extension cable WILL NOT work with the VPR and the MULTI plug - the MULTI has 10 additional contacts/wires on top of the typical USB, those are used for "signalling", basically using a variant of the old LANC protocol (which has also been hidden in the Sony line in the A/V jack from about the HC series until the MULTI plug became the standard interface.

He might also look at an RX10 (first version), I've seen them as low as around $450/US, which is an embarrassingly cheap price for such a capable camera with a large sensor and great lens. Uses the phone app, has a 30 minute clip limit, but that's pretty easy to work around, and again, if he can find one at the low end of the price range used, it's a killer 20Mpixel still and 1080/60p video (XAVCS with firmware update, so higher bitrate and quality than AVCHD) camera. The glass (lens) alone is worth the price...

Ron Evans April 2nd, 2016 06:51 PM

Yes I forgot it wasn't I standard USB cable !!! Not sure how long that cable is on that remote though.

Ron Evans

Adriano Moroni April 3rd, 2016 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 1911937)
If my memory is correct, any CX/PJ7xx series (7 followed by two other #'s, EU designated cams are different model #"s) should still have the little wireless remote.

I am not able to find any cam with remote control. Even Sony PJ7xx doesn't use the dedicated remote control. What a pity. It seems I'm asking to reach the moon. ;)

Quote:

I'm a little worried that a smartphone app is "too complicated", it's install the app, connect the camera, and it gives you the ability to start/stop/zoom.

Yes, me too I'm a bit worried. ahahaha I am worried every time my friend will have problem with his smartphone he will call me. ;) He even don't know how to install that file on his smartphone. ;)

Quote:

He might also look at an RX10 (first version), I've seen them as low as around $450/US,

Sony RX10 is a camera for take pictures and not a handycam. Is it right?

Dave Blackhurst April 3rd, 2016 08:33 PM

I know for certain that the CX and PJ cameras up to the 7xx (700, 710, 760, 790, and in the EU 730, 780 that I know of) had the small IR remote, RMT835 IIRC. I THINK Sony had lower series model #'s that were offered to the consumer. Keep in mind these are not 2015/2016 cameras, but I' sure there's used and "new old stock" out there.

The change to using wireless and a phone app, is of course "progress", but I realize we may be at the point the phone is "smarter" than the user for many tasks, and not everyone speaks "gadget". If your friend is really not up to deal with the tech, I'm not sure anything we can suggest will be of much help. I just picked up a new phone, and the image quality (4K no less!) is definitely impressive, with a little creativity I'm sure I could "get away" with using it as an imaging device for many purposes, even if it is not the primary purpose of my "phone". In all honesty, it was the quality of the camera module that "sold" me on the upgrade that I really didn't "need"! And yes, I installed Sony Play Memories Mobile on it... have to sit down and re-sync my cameras at some point....

The RX10 is a "hybrid", it is a "still" camera similar to a small DSLR in format, but it ALSO was designed with video capture in mind, and does a VERY capable job in BOTH respects. It can be remote controlled with the Sony app... It has a relatively large sensor and a really nice fairly fast lens. Like any other current "video camera", it records to memory cards and downloads via USB.

While there is still a small gap that distinguishes a "video" camera from a "stills" camera, I've been using hybrid cams effectively for some time mixed with video cameras. Just opens up more options, as you can get a small "still camera" that shoots 1080/60p AVCHD for almost peanuts, as cell phones have devastated the "consumer" camera (both still and video) market.

I've always gone with cheap-o phones, and the camera modules have been so-so at best, but after limited tests, I could easily use the one I just got for a lot of casual capture purposes. I think it has a Sony sensor/camera module, and it looks like it can keep up with most of the "pocket cameras" I've owned recently. The "state of the art" Nexus 5X phone cost less than most of the cameras... thus why there are some awesome cameras on the used market for silly prices that might well be more than enough for your friend's needs!