Join MP4 files quickly? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old June 15th, 2016, 07:02 AM   #1
Major Player

Join MP4 files quickly?

Short version: Is there a software (free or paid) that can quickly join mp4 files together without rerender?

Longer Version: I shoot video depositions, files I turn in need to be close to 1 hour and 55 minutes. Sometimes they go on and off the record a few times and I can end up with multiple short files. I am also uploading these files to their server throughout the day which Is why I need some speed and low resources since I am also capturing video with same laptop.
Darryn Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 07:09 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Join MP4 files quickly?

MPEG Streamclip?
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 07:52 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryn Carroll View Post
Short version: Is there a software (free or paid) that can quickly join mp4 files together without rerender?
Avidemux... a great little free program for Windows or Mac.

Avidemux - Screenshots

If you want to join a number of flies use "File Open" for the first file then "File Append" for the subsequent files. Now select "Copy" in the video and audio output boxes and then in the "Output Format" box select from the drop menu "MP4 Muxer." Next go to the File/Save menu select a destination give the file a name BUT ALSO ENTER THE FILE EXTENSION,e.g ."MP4" after the file name.

Avidemux will then pretty quickly stitch all your files together into one without re-encoding them.

Download here:

Avidemux - Downloads

Happy stitching :))

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

P.S. Avidemux can also do many other things just explore it.
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 10:19 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys, both seem to wok fine but both are over an hour, granted my project is 104 minutes.I did find a program called MP4joiner that did this in 9 minutes, but my client has issues with it. I learned it would not play correctly in WMP but seemed fine in VLC. This was why I was looking for an alternative.
Darryn Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #5
Major Player

MyFFmpeg
VideoReDo
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 08:10 PM   #6
Equal Opportunity Offender

Once again it's word of mouth on this forum that has led me to another cool bit of open source software. This time, Avidremux.

I've recently upgraded / bought a new digital TV recorder unit for digital TV here in Australia (Beyonwiz T4 for those who are wondering) and discovered that it didn't have the ability to trim out the bits that you want from a recording. The previous P2 model did, and was wonderful, though it had a serious bottleneck with the speed of file transfer via ethernet off the unit.

The good thing about these recorders is that they essentially grabbed the data stream from digital TV transmission and stored it as a file on the HDD, Also, internally it was mpeg2 and thus could be placed directly on the editing timeline ... at the same quality that it was broadcast at. Thus, these files were also as good as it gets for digital TV archives.

There was a program called "TS-EDIT" that was able to do the trimming and cutting without re-encoding to the new file (most important) but this was only useful for files that had the mpeg2 codec internally, and not the newer mp4 codec that is beginning to be used in the HD broadcasts in Australia.

There is another programme called "VideoReDo TVSuite V5" which I had been evaluating which will also handle files with mp4 video internal to them. I wasn't quite thrilled with the interface, but it did the job and I'm not adverse to paying for software either. My issue is that what they wanted was well in excess of what needed their software to do.

So I've tested the Avidremux in a virtual machine running Win 10 as to not potentially bollox my Win 7 editing setup, and I'm incredibly impressed with just how well this software performs. It's absolutely beautiful to use (give or take the lack of JKL functionality for scrubbing, but I'm not complaining) and the finished files work correctly with Premiere Pro CS6. I'm very happy to have found this.

It will soon be installed on the main editing machine for ongoing daily use.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 01:24 AM   #7

Update: Both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions won't install on Windows 7 64-bit. Not good. (I know the download page says it won't install on Win XP, but ...)

Andrew
Old June 21st, 2016, 11:48 AM   #8
Major Player

For a paid standalone software, I'd recommend Pegasys (TMPGenc) Smart Renderer:

TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 5 - The De Facto Standard in Video Cutting Tools

You can be confident that the trimmed/joined mp4 files will play without any problems.

There's a fully functional 30 day trial version for download. Just puts a water mark on any frames that are re-encoded at the join points.

P.S. I haven't used AVIDemux in a while, but I just tried installing version 2.6.10_win64 on my PC running Win7 x64 and it installed and works as expected. Downloaded from:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/avidemux/

Edit: Also tested version 2.6.12_win64 from the AVIDemux website download page and again no problem with installation or functionality:

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/download.html

Not sure why you are having issues ? Is it that the installation does not complete or that it installs but the program will not open ? Only thing I can find are some reports of AVIDemux failing to start on Win7 x64 due to conflicts with anti-virus software, and Zone Alarm in particular - e.g.

http://avidemux.org/smif/index.php?topic=10375.0

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; June 21st, 2016 at 09:28 PM.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 10:11 PM   #9

Well, even after a swift reboot of the computer both 32bit and 64bit install files just weren't wporking at all. Same error message.

Then I re-downloaded the install file ... and it installed like nothing was ever wrong.

Weird, but I'm glad to have a solution.

Andrew
Old June 22nd, 2016, 04:24 AM   #10
Major Player

Likely the first download was corrupted then. Glad you found a solution.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition