Help with low light settings to improve exposure... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 22nd, 2019, 08:49 AM   #1
Major Player

REMOVE please

I'm working on pulling and posting an example clip but I've been tapped to shoot the play at the local catholic school. Last night was a dress rehearsal so i setup two cameras and left them on auto mode to see what problems might crop up. I'm waaaay out of practice as you'd see if you compare this post date to the last one :)

Anyhow, my little canon HF20 does fine but I'm mounting a second camera off to the side and up in the air shooting down and it's auto setting can't handle the light on the actors faces. They are washed out and over-saturated. The camera is an LG HV20 which has some very good manual controls. It's my only option at this point so I'm hoping to get the setting dialed in better by Saturday's performance.

I'll follow up briefly once I get some footage posted to share but what setting should I be futzing with in general here?

Thanks,
KK

Last edited by Kevin Kimmell; March 22nd, 2019 at 09:48 AM.
Kevin Kimmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2019, 09:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Help with low light settings to improve exposure...

Okay... video of some obvious baddies here:

I'm also wondering if, once the manual adjustments are set, I should shoot this in 4k so that I can crop it down to 1920x1080 with little to no loss to remove most of the audience and other stuff.

Thanks,
KK

p.s. Should note in case it's not obvious, I can't really zoom with the LG as it would be digital zoom so shooting 4k and cropping would hopefully be the better option. Other camera will do 1920x1080 at 30fps so I could shoot full 4K @ 30 fps if that is a good match.
Old March 22nd, 2019, 09:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Remove

Please close/delete... posted over in the Open discussion area.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/536650-looking-help-low-light-settings-improve-exposure.html
Old March 22nd, 2019, 09:47 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Kevin,

One of the problems with filming theatre productions where the light is changing, is that you either have to monitor all your cameras and manually adjust, or rely on the auto. There are no standard settings for an ever changing scenario.

The most obvious thing that stands out to me from your clip, is that the camera is averaging out the whole scene. Unless the parents want to watch themselves, you should have that camera zoomed in on the stage, which is presumably the main subject. The auto setting then will at least be able to expose for the light that is on the stage rather than the whole auditorium. You will also find that at the wide angle you are using, you won't be able to crop the video in post as there will be no detail of the performers on stage.

I film quite a lot of stage productions, and there is really no point in including the audience in the shots, unless you occasionally want to show audience reaction. In that instance, you would be better off to use a small discreet camera like a GoPro at the front or above the stage looking out towards the audience.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2019, 09:50 AM   #5
Major Player

I do understand but as stated above, the only zoom is digital so cropping was a hopeful workaround.

The other camera does a good job so this would be for cutaways or change of scene so even getting it better for some percentage of the footage which is all similar to the sample would be better than this standard that auto gives.
Old March 22nd, 2019, 12:53 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Let’s make this simple using a smartphone as a second camera won’t work. Borrow an appropriate 2nd camera or use only one camera.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition