upgrade SD to HD card - question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old November 5th, 2005, 12:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

upgrade SD to HD card - question

I own the Backmagic Design DeckLink Pro card - the SD one.

Since I want to upgrade my system to HD, I am thinking about buying the DeckLink HD Pro 4:4:4 card, their best HD card. At the same time, I want to sell my SD card.

Will I lose something by selling it? Can the Decklink Pro do something that the HD Pro cannot? I checked the specs and it seems the HD card can do everything the SD one cad do (and, of course, much more). But I don't wanna make a mistake and suddenly lose something of the SD word.

Thanks.
Mike Medavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 04:20 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Medavoy
I own the Backmagic Design DeckLink Pro card - the SD one.

Since I want to upgrade my system to HD, I am thinking about buying the DeckLink HD Pro 4:4:4 card, their best HD card. At the same time, I want to sell my SD card.

Will I lose something by selling it? Can the Decklink Pro do something that the HD Pro cannot? I checked the specs and it seems the HD card can do everything the SD one cad do (and, of course, much more). But I don't wanna make a mistake and suddenly lose something of the SD word.

Thanks.
Don't know, but before upgrading check Decklink's system requirements to make sure your system supports the HD cards. Some systems that the SD cards work fine in won't support the HD cards in HD mode.
Old November 6th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have the double 2Gz G5 system... no worries about compatibility...

Thanks, though.

Anybody can confirm that the top of the line HD card can cover all capabilities of the SD Decklink Pro?
Mike Medavoy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition