DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   How soon before SD dies? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/55737-how-soon-before-sd-dies.html)

Steve Crisdale December 28th, 2005 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
so none of the old paradigms are applicable here... that's why it's all about delivery formats... and since software sells hardware, hd is dead, because there is no software delivery format for it.

Good. So now you know that, get on with things and go and frequent the SD sub-forums rather than coming to the HD sub-forums.

SD proponents seem to have this unswerving need to come onto the HD specific forums and make their pronouncements with what they think is the sort of conviction that will stop SD waverers from becoming turn-coats.

So Yay!! HD is dead... for you. Go and enjoy SD.

It's a bit like going to a restaurant really. If you don't like the food when you've tried it, go somewhere else. Don't expect to walk in the door and tell everyone enjoying what they're eating that "the food here is lousy and there's no way you can carry it home - so this place is dead"... though I dare say there's some bozzos that would!!

Georg Liigand December 29th, 2005 03:43 AM

Actually everyone just say out their opinions in this thread and I don't think that one has the right to publically decide who should stop writing here :) It has turned out into a rather interesting discussion.

I would add that the very large DVD projects like Hollywood movies will probably stay on SD for a long time, because if only a few percent of the people own HD DVD players, it is necessary to go with the format the majority can watch. Certainly new technology spreads quickly, but right now it's pretty hard to estimate about HD DVDs, because they aren't even out yet.

Bob Zimmerman December 29th, 2005 03:49 AM

Maybe we should say "how soon till 4:3 SD is dead" I see more and more shows 16:9 or letterboxed or something. Even more commericals are 16:9. I don't know if it's HD or SD, but I sure see a trend going to the widescreen look and I think people will be look at a widescreen TV and see a show tape on SD 16:9 and say,,,"That looks really good"

Boyd Ostroff December 29th, 2005 09:30 AM

Actually I'm wondering..... how soon before this thread dies? ;-)

Leigh Wanstead December 29th, 2005 01:56 PM

I tried to watch panasonic hvx200 1080p video on my amd xp 1800+ pc with 2GB RAM. The computer can't play it properly due to not enough cpu power. I do get nice video from 720p.

Based on that, I guess hd consumes far more resource than sd.

I agree that my computer is five years old. But I have not planned to buy a new computer now.

Base on the common sense that it is not camera make a difference on video, I think I will stay with sd.

Regards
Leigh

Bob Safay December 29th, 2005 04:10 PM

Question, since the Canon HD-1 will do both SD and HD wouldn't it make sence to go with that camcorder, that way you can still do SD now and you will have HD when you really need it and are ready for it. Bob

Dan Euritt December 29th, 2005 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Crisdale
Good. So now you know that, get on with things and go and frequent the SD sub-forums rather than coming to the HD sub-forums.

the title of this thread is "How soon before SD dies?" ...perhaps you should ask to have it moved to an sd forum, since it makes you feel so uncomfortable ;-)

better yet, please tell us what, if any, hd-specific r.o.i. that you have been seeing from those "hd" cameras that you bought.

not footage that ends up being down-rezzed to sd, mind you, but real honest-to-goodness specific payment for hd content that stays in an hd delivery format.

in other words, give this forum some proof that sd is dead.

Georg Liigand December 29th, 2005 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Safay
Question, since the Canon HD-1 will do both SD and HD wouldn't it make sence to go with that camcorder, that way you can still do SD now and you will have HD when you really need it and are ready for it. Bob

Absolutely correct. However, electronics are something you should buy for today's needs, not for future. If you want the new and expensive camera for SD and are not sure when you will move over to HD, then maybe it's better to buy XL2 for a much cheaper price and then add some accessories for the price difference.

Leigh Wanstead December 29th, 2005 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georg Liigand
Absolutely correct. However, electronics are something you should buy for today's needs, not for future. If you want the new and expensive camera for SD and are not sure when you will move over to HD, then maybe it's better to buy XL2 for a much cheaper price and then add some accessories for the price difference.

I think this is an honest answer.

Regards
Leigh

Rick Steele December 29th, 2005 05:17 PM

Quote:

Now *where* did this come from?

And no, I don't agree that HD is dead.

Rick Steele December 29th, 2005 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
Maybe we should say "how soon till 4:3 SD is dead"

Another good question as I normally shoot in 4:3 SD. And as much as I would like 4:3 to stick around to accomodate my VX2100 even I see it going by the wayside.

I'm seeing more and more 16:9 broadcast content every month and a lot of commercials now too.

4:3 will be truly "dead" when the NFL makes the official jump with total disregard for the die-hards who complain about missing 12 inches of screen real estate. :)

Konrad Haskins December 29th, 2005 08:53 PM

The NFL not the networks shoot evey game to film not video.

Steve Crisdale December 30th, 2005 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Steele
Now *where* did this come from?

And no, I don't agree that HD is dead.

Where?!! From all those posters who come to this thread (which probably shouldn't have been here in the first place) with this or that fact or opinion on something that none of us have any real control over.

Those with the obvious intelligence to declare HD will "die" because "Joe Bloggs next door doesn't own a HDTV so there's no interest in HDTV" or "there's no way or means to distribute HD" or "HDV cameras aren't capable of matching the best SD camcorders" etc. etc ad nauseum are pushing a barrow full of as much self opinionated clap-trap as those who trumpet HD as steamrollering every other means of viewing, shooting, recording etc. etc moving images that mankind has ever seen.

HD ain't going away. It's here now, so unless some SD exponents want to try to track every HD camera/HDTV owner down and make them an offer they can't refuse... they'd better get used to it.

On the other hand SD is going to hang around for a while too. Why do you reckon every lower cost HDV/HD camcorder also shoots DV at SD resolutions? If Sony, JVC, Canon and Panasonic truly believed that their own equipment was likely to be the death knell riding on the back of a massive uptake rate of HD/HDTV by the public... do you reckon they'd waste their time adding extra functionality to a camera that would be cheaper to manufacture and sell without it?

They know SD will be around for a while longer still, and can cope with integrating both without any blazing conflict in the hardware that'll threaten to explode because neither mode thinks the other will survive.

Take a lead from the folks who make the equipment every last one of you use, whether it's for shooting, capturing, processing, viewing or appreciating in any way shape or form. You see them "killing" a particular line just because some bright spark oracle of all knowledge reckons "SD will die"... er hang on make that "HD will die!!" er... "better be safe and give the option to do both"

What's the gripe? You want to watch SD on a HDTV - go ahead!! You want to watch HD on an SD tv - go ahead!! It's like watching some little snot-nosed kid getting upset about some bizarrely inane and paltry thing that they feel has hurt them... while every other kid looks at them like they're just some spoilt little twerp who should just bite the bullet and get on with things. There are those out there who know that if you are faced with a problem - solve it!! It's a shame there's hordes who wouldn't know how to solve it even if the solution was plastered to the inside of their eyeballs.

I shall now solve all our problems by not replying any further to this thread.

Rick Steele December 30th, 2005 07:17 AM

Quote:

It's like watching some little snot-nosed kid getting upset about some bizarrely inane and paltry thing that they feel has hurt them

All this angst over something as silly as an HD/SD discussion?

Quote:

I shall now solve all our problems by not replying any further to this thread.
Interesting exit. (in light of your quote above).

Good luck!

Rick Steele December 30th, 2005 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konrad Haskins
The NFL not the networks shoot evey game to film not video.

Ok. So sports venues are forever stuck with 4:3?