DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   So what is next in line for an HDV cam? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/56084-so-what-next-line-hdv-cam.html)

Ken Hodson December 15th, 2005 01:50 AM

So what is next in line for an HDV cam?

Anyone have any baseless dreams or insider info on what the next HDV cam to be relased will be?

Will JVC re-enter the sub $3500 market left wide open with the discontinued HD10?
Will Canon enter the lower cost market and hit the FX/Z1 with a GLH-1?
Will sharp finally get into the game?
Will Sony tap the high-end with a removable lens cam?

As it stands now there is little or no HDV competition. Every cam, thus far, released is unique in its market segment. It has to heat up sooner or later. I hope ;>)

Chris Hurd December 15th, 2005 02:00 AM

Shouldn't this thread go to Area 51?

Here's my best-guess speculatory surmise: it'll be Sony, with an HDV version of whatever replaces the DSR-250 (in other words, same CCD block as Z1, large cassette, shoulder mount, integrated lens). Any takers?

Ash Greyson December 15th, 2005 02:01 AM

I still think it is bridge tech... a compromise to keep costs low while waiting on a cheaper storage solution. Until they make some 2/3" CCD HDV cams I wont be convinced it is here to stay. DVCproHD seems more likely to take off.... but we'll see.

ash =o)

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 15th, 2005 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
I still think it is bridge tech... a compromise to keep costs low while waiting on a cheaper storage solution. Until they make some 2/3" CCD HDV cams I wont be convinced it is here to stay. DVCproHD seems more likely to take off.... but we'll see.
ash =o)

Chris is actually speculating??! Has hell frozen over whilst I was in the air tonight? :-)

Ash, Sony has already announced a 2/3 chip cam based on HDV, but it's a 35Mb bitrate, not 25Mb.

Chris...you going to CES? I'll arrange for you to see what's next in HDV...and it's not what anyone might speculate. :-)

Chris Hurd December 15th, 2005 02:48 AM

Hey Spot, I'm actually going to MacWorld this time, however, I'm thinking about passing through CES for a day on the way up there. Will let ya know, thanks!!

Michael Liebergot December 15th, 2005 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Chris is actually speculating??! Has hell frozen over whilst I was in the air tonight? :-)

Ash, Sony has already announced a 2/3 chip cam based on HDV, but it's a 35Mb bitrate, not 25Mb.

Chris...you going to CES? I'll arrange for you to see what's next in HDV...and it's not what anyone might speculate. :-)

Spot could this possibly be recording to holograhic storage?

Kevin Shaw December 15th, 2005 09:24 AM

As DSE said, we already know Sony has their XDCAM HD coming down the line, which is basically an HDV camera on steroids with a 1/2" sensor and blu-ray disc recording at 35 Mbps. Supposedly JVC also has a high-end HDV camera in the works, but other rumors suggest that may be stalled. It would be surprising if Canon *didn't* release an HDV version of their GL series cameras eventually, so maybe a year from now after they've sold some XL-H1s? And now we've got DSE's hint that there's something new and secret coming, so we can all go nuts trying to guess what that might be.

One thing for sure: Sony has a lock right now on the most practical and affordable way to shoot decent high-definition video on a reasonable budget. It's hard to imagine the other companies will let that stand indefinitely, so BRING IT ON!

Graham Risdon December 15th, 2005 12:16 PM

I think Chris's idea would sell well - what I'm really after is a DSR-450 HDV(CAM) but I guess Sony are trying to push everyone to XDCAM or even HDCAM!

Whilst looking around on the web, I came across a Sony technical document which refered to a DSR-650. Tried all sorts of other esearches but could find out nothing else. The document's at http://195.2.37.154/indexes/pi/EB/Nov_2005/00040765.pdf

Does anyone know about a DSR-650?

Kevin Shaw December 15th, 2005 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Risdon
Does anyone know about a DSR-650?

If you Google the full model # DSR-650WSPL you'll find this link:

http://pro.sony.com.hk/news_showlist...2,3790,12,3791

"Latest additions of the DVCAM Series come with the Studio Camcorder DSR-650WSPL that adopts three 2/3-inch type Power HAD EX CCDs technology and DSR-1800AP/1600AP Studio Editing Recorder offers a cost effective option for corporate program makers and local television stations requiring optimum performance from the DVCAM format."

Graham Risdon December 15th, 2005 12:46 PM

Thanks Kevin - your googling was better than mine!!!

That said, it doesn't appear in the rpoducts section so I guess its not available yet...

I guess it's like a DSR-450 with the Triax output option that the DSR570 had?

John Jay December 15th, 2005 01:57 PM

I would like to see a cut down version at lower cost of the Canon XLH1 minus the SDI/Studio features

a Canon XLH1LE if you will - I bet there is a market waiting there

Barry Green December 15th, 2005 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
It would be surprising if Canon *didn't* release an HDV version of their GL series cameras eventually

I used to think that too, but now I'm not so sure. The GL is based around a 1/4" chipset, and I don't think it's optically possible to design a 1/4" high-def chipset.

I would rather expect that if there's a GL replacement in HDV, it'll be a single-chip 1/3" design, more like the Sony HC1.

Quote:

One thing for sure: Sony has a lock right now on the most practical and affordable way to shoot decent high-definition video on a reasonable budget. It's hard to imagine the other companies will let that stand indefinitely, so BRING IT ON!
Of that there is no doubt. Sony has an absolute lock on the low-cost front. The introduction of the HVX and XLH1 has just made me re-realize what an amazing accomplishment the FX1 is, since it sells at 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the others. Granted it doesn't have the same functionality, but for 1/2 to 1/3 the price it delivers an amazing picture.

Eventually Sharp will enter the fray, and that may disrupt Sony's sole ownership of the affordable front -- I don't expect Sharp to be producing XLH1-class cameras.

Kurth Bousman December 15th, 2005 06:48 PM

Sony will bring out a hc90 sized hdv with the w/the hc1 sensor this spring. Pure speculation but lest we forget that it's profit that drives new products.Kurth

Konrad Haskins December 15th, 2005 08:57 PM

I hooked up the HC1 to a big Panasonic plasma in Best Buy and the picture was amazing given the low light levels where I was pointing the HC1. I'd be happy with a revamped Z1 with better low light and HDV noise levels of the Canon H1.

Although If i had to bet I'd say Kurth was on the money.

Ken Hodson December 15th, 2005 09:00 PM

I think it is funny that HDV started out so affordable, HD1/HD10, FX1, then has gone sky high. I would assume Canon will bring out a HDV GL2 as I see no relevance to the older cams being 1/4". The HDV version will not be. Canon has traditionally had a removable lens high cost and fixed lens lower cost cam. I don't see that changing unless they are throwing away that market segment. What about JVC. HD for the masses? Are they afraid a full HD10 will cut into the HD100 sales?
A quality 3 chip $3500 progressive HDV cam would really hit Panasonic where it hurts, standing right in the middle of the DVX100B and the HVX200. Maybe that indie filmaker market isn't that big but it has sold a lot of DVX100's.