HDV Distribution - the real issue - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old December 31st, 2005, 02:16 AM   #31
Trustee

Don't forget you can author to DivX 6.1 and there are quite a few players that play it's format.

check out divx.com for the available players.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 07:42 AM   #32
Trustee

Transfer to a HD capable DVR? That sounds very interesting. I never thought of that.

OK. So how do we turn component outputs into cable? I see that my DVRs have component inputs - or so it seems. This one deserves some research. And then we need to figure out how to record from those inputs.
Old December 31st, 2005, 10:53 AM   #33
Major Player

Heath, the issue is not being able to see HD content. There are lots of ways and devices to do this. The issue is the able to "use" the content in a way that is equal or better than a DVD. Folks are not going to want to stop drinking wine and go back to water.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 11:01 AM   #34
MPS Digital Studios

I'm confused now--you wanted answers to HD content and "distribution," so we gave it to you. But you want something better than an SD DVD. Unless you're making QuickTimes or WMHDs for computers, or a Nero hi def DVD for Nero-ready DVD players. That's going to be better than a DVD in terms of quality.

But until Blu-Ray or HD DVD comes out and one becomes a standard and people actually move to it, but keep in mind, Grandma and Grandpa have only recently bought SD DVD players, then we'll see people loving HD-content DVDs. And that will be better than SD DVDs.

heath
Old December 31st, 2005, 11:05 AM   #35
Trustee

I would choose feature length HD image quality over a menu structure with extras, any time.

It would be fine by me if regular SD DVDs just starting playing the movie when you popped them in the drawer. Many menus are an irritant to me.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 11:08 AM   #36
MPS Digital Studios

When DVDs first came out, they immediately started the film and you'd have to hit menu to go to the main menu. It was nice but short-lived.

heath
Old December 31st, 2005, 12:42 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Gotz
I see that my DVRs have component inputs - or so it seems. This one deserves some research.
Can you double-check and see whether those are component inputs, or just component outputs? I've yet to see any reasonably-priced device with component inputs, and that's part of the problem.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 02:51 PM   #38
Trustee

Yes, I will check it as soon as I can. Keep in mind that Brighthouse Networks won't let me buy the DVR. It is part of the monthly fee. I have a couple of them, and as soon as I can get around some of the boxes in my media room. I will work on figuring this out. But I imagine that the TIVO is pretty much the same as these Scientific Atlanta boxes.

It might be very interesting, being able to record HD on to the DVR instead of just connecting the camera. The next question is: Does it look any better direct from camera to component, than it does from tape to component. Seeing as how the DVR compresses anyway. Right?
Old December 31st, 2005, 03:41 PM   #39
Major Player

Heath, I tried to title it like I see the real issue. Distribution is not just give someone a piece of media you put in a player and it starts to play. That can be done today. But, lets get real. The average Joe cares about useability MORE than quality. So, Tom I just hand you a 2 hour HD DL disc. I want you to go to the section at 1 hr 50 minutes. Now, how are you going to get there? The best is FF, and thats going to take a long time.

So, anyway, I do think my title says it all, the real issue. Its useability.

Dave
Old December 31st, 2005, 05:00 PM   #40
MPS Digital Studios

"HDV distribution the real deal" is what you wrote. In terms of making chapters, I believe you can do that with DVD Studio Pro 4, but there goes the player option (Apples only--and I discovered my new purchase of a 12 in. PowerBook from the previous generation can't support it with it's CD-RW/DVDROM drive). Not sure about Nero, though.

I hear rumors that many of your questions will be answered at CES. Until then, almost 100% of consumers are on DVD players (not counting Nero) that support SD, so you make an SD DVD and your HDV project is future-proofed. Offer an HD DVD or Blu-Ray for more money later on.

heath
Old December 31st, 2005, 06:01 PM   #41
Major Player

Forgot about CES in a few days. Shall see what it said

Thanks

Dave
Old December 31st, 2005, 06:08 PM   #42
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell
Forgot about CES in a few days. Shall see what it said
What do you mean?
Old December 31st, 2005, 07:08 PM   #43
Major Player

Your quote.
"I hear rumors that many of your questions will be answered at CES"

We shall see if anything happens.

dave
Old December 31st, 2005, 07:39 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell
Your quote.
"I hear rumors that many of your questions will be answered at CES"

We shall see if anything happens.

dave
Rumours?... Like the album recorded by Fleetwood Mac? Or, maybe those wildly exagerated and totally unsubstantiated snippets of information that are slyly and subversively spread amongst the more gullible in an audience in order to create excitement and break down resistance to an otherwise non-revolutionary concept or product?

That sort of rumour?

Seems like the logic of a generic - non branded form of HD capable media playback device, that is as easy to install/connect/use; just as current DVD stand alone players are, is somewhat lost on all but a very few folks who have been attempting in vain to get the various devices that have so far been released/touted/promoted as being capable of doing so to actually live up to the promotion/hype/rumours.

For any HD distribution device to be worthy of success it must be ubiquitous, without other competing brands/formats, which are incompatible with each other, and allow replication by more than just a select few who can afford the astronomic fees that'll be asked for licenses/copyright to be able to replicate content.

What shall we see happen at these all important trade shows... I'm putting my money on the corporate end of town protecting itself in even more clever and devious ways, and those lesser players like myself needing large quantities of Vaseline to make it easier to take when bending over yet again!!
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 10:11 PM   #45
MPS Digital Studios

DVD players cost over $300 when they first came out in late 1997 and didn't really take off until the mpeg2 decoder got cheap and Playstation 2s came out. Fortunately for Blu Ray (and eventually HD DVD in future Xbox 360s), PS3s will be out around the same time. Or so I've heard.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition