Confused on what HDV cam to get... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old December 27th, 2005, 07:48 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Confused on what HDV cam to get...

At first, I thought of an FX1, because it had 3CCDs and looked like broadcast quality, but then I started thinking of an HC1 because it is the wave of the future where probably all the next HDV cams will be 1 CMOS. I am so confused now, all thanks to Chris Hurd! Which one should I get!?!? HC1 or FX1?!?!?!?!
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Never mind, I've cleared my mind and have decided to go with an FX1 and here's why, stablier images, all buttons are there (I like no touch screen), and it's a great beginner's prosumer cam for me.
Old December 28th, 2005, 12:58 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Jack,

If money is not an issue ;-), I would go with Panasonic hvx200.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

For me, money is an issue, I want prosumer HD quality at an affordable price, and the HC1 just didn't cut the gun with the touch screen, guess how long production time would be with the HC1 as compared with the FX1. Remember, I'm just starting my HD filmography with the FX1, I haven't used a single HD cam before that, only the optura 20.
Old December 29th, 2005, 12:52 AM   #5
Trustee

Well Leigh, he asked which HDV cam. The HVX has no way to record HD to tape.

I think you made the right choice Jack. The HC1is designed to be run in auto mode, and if you want to run it in manual mode you actually need to be quite experienced with shooting to get the most out of it (much like the older HD10). The controls for the FX1 will provide for a better experience for the amature who wants to learn advanced features and shooting techniques without having to fight the cam.
Old December 30th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

Until the HVX200 comes out and you've had a chance to test it, I wouldn't buy it. After my HD10 debacle, that's how I do things.

I recommend the Z1 because you have more options like Black Stretch, more CinemaTone settings, balanced XLR inputs, more timecode options, 60i/50i, and more. And, most importantly, professional tech support.

http://hdvinfo.net/articles/sonyhdrfx1/compare.php

heath
Old December 30th, 2005, 05:47 PM   #7
Wrangler

for the money, i don't think you can do much better than the FX-1. still, there are some great deals on used Z1s right here. if i didn't already have an FX-1 and wasn't in the market, eventually, for an H1, i'd snap one up.....

i have to say, i love the form factor. love it, i tell you. i'm sure i will hate the H1 form factor, but for what i do, there is absolutely no substitute for interchangeable lenses.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I'm thinking about a Z1, but a XL-H1 for $8000 USD?!?! That's crazy!

Oh, wait, maybe I might get a Z1, I'll just use my Optura 20 as a DV LP VCR. By the summer I might be super surprised if the Z1 is only $4999 CAD.
Old January 4th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang
I am so confused now, all thanks to Chris Hurd! Which one should I get? HC1 or FX1?
My apologies if I'm the source for your confusion, Jack. I'll try to simplify the situation for you with some friendly advice: The right camera for you is the one which feels best in your hands. Ergonomics, how comfortable you are holding the camera, and how well it fits in your hands are far more important than any technical specification, including the number of image sensors, the number of pixels or any other number on or in the camera. As long as you like the image it puts out, and as long as you look forward to reaching for that camera and doing some shooting with it, that's *all* that really matters. And do your best to try before you buy, even if it means a long drive to a dealer, a trip to a tradeshow or whatever. Get your hands on it first and don't buy it sight unseen if you can help it. Hope this clears the confusion a little,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

I agree, after my HD10 debacle (as I've stated before), test, test, test! If it's possible, get a small HDTV at the place you're testing and check it out. Maybe Circuit City will allow you to grab an HC1 and go over to the HDTVs.

heath
Old January 5th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I'm confused again, now I've chosen one of the 3CCD 1080i HDV cams, but I don't really know which! FX1 or Z1? I did think about the Z1 because I could live without REC Review, and the Backlighting could be solved by opening up the iris bigger and Spotlighting by closing the iris smaller. the 50i and 60i would also be nice, DVCAM would be good. Come to think of it, I think I just made my decision to go with a Z1 in the time I wrote this post! Now the big issue is price, any of you perdict the Z1 would be around $4000CDN by the summer?
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

Try this:

http://hdvinfo.net/articles/sonyhdrfx1/compare.php

heath
Old January 6th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #13
Trustee

"Now the big issue is price, any of you perdict the Z1 would be around $4000CDN by the summer?"

Well if our dollar keeps climbing on the USD then we could expect to pay a little more then the US price, which will not be $4000 by summer. If you could get the cam in CND$ at what the current US list price is you will be lucky.
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Ok, I've decided on a Z1, It's better for my future productions. But I'll still buy in the summer no matter the price.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition