Its coming..taking preorders at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old January 5th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Its coming..taking preorders

The Toshiba HD-DVD. The price is waaaay to much. Its insane. I think it will be a while before I pick up one. For now I'll just keep printing back to tape.
Sorry guys but here's the link if your interested.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Jlsz5sl...wzp*5MjiDnZK-v
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I think I'll hold off. That's about the same price as a first-generation DVD player used to be. In fact it's also about the same price as a VHS VCR used to be. I remember when I bought my parents a 4-head stereo VCR for $400. And now you can get a DVD player for less than $40. Yeah, I think I'll wait until this comes down in price... way down.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Then again, people are paying $150-250 and up for "upsampling" DVD players which they think are HD but aren't, so $499 for the real thing on day one isn't totally out of line. Rumors are that the first batch of Blu-ray players will be closer to $1000, but maybe that will change.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Nice, but it doesn't record. Oh well, back to waiting.
Ray Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 11:48 PM   #5
Trustee

This is why HD-DVD is fighting uphill... The Sony Playstation 3 will launch with a robust blueray player. Bundles are said to be $300 - $400 and it is speculated that they will include a BR DVD... On video game systems, big corps are willing to take a LOSS in order to get a critical mass of units into the marketplace... they can do this because they license the games. Just wont work for players only.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #6
Trustee

It is the BURNERS, not players that are rumored to release for $999 this year..

ash =o)
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #7
Tourist

Exactly right. $499 is an astonishing entry price for this kind of thing - I was a DVD early adopter in August 97, and I paid about $1100 for my Sony.

This entry price is gonna drive Sony nuts...now they've got to price Blu-Ray players a lot more attractively if they're gonna attract eyeballs.
Dimitri LaBarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #8
Major Player

Yeah I remember my first dvd player was $499. Now 7 years later you can get it for $49. When blue ray/hd dvd hits $49, the new format of HD will comeout like double the resolution of 1080i. Isn't history repeating itself? Anyhow I think I'll pass and hold off for couple of years or so before I make a move. So far playing my stuffs off the camera is good enough.
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #9
Trustee

I dont think Sony has to change anything... for $499 you get an HD-DVD player... for $399 you get a BR player, the most powerful video game console ever released and a robust wireless home media center, with HDD, etc. etc.!

Remember PS2? Launched at the same price as most DVD players. It was estimated that 40% of people who bought PS2 in the first several months used it almost exclusively as a DVD player.

HD-DVD has little chance if Sony delivers as promised.

ash =o)
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
I dont think Sony has to change anything... for $499 you get an HD-DVD player... for $399 you get a BR player, the most powerful video game console ever released and a robust wireless home media center, with HDD, etc. etc.!

Remember PS2? Launched at the same price as most DVD players. It was estimated that 40% of people who bought PS2 in the first several months used it almost exclusively as a DVD player.

HD-DVD has little chance if Sony delivers as promised.

ash =o)
What about the audio outputs on the PS3 is it coaxial or optical digital audio?
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Foronda
What about the audio outputs on the PS3 is it coaxial or optical digital audio?

Never mind PS3 has two HDMI outputs thats far superior than the coaxial.
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition