The Seventh Affordable HD Camcorder... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old January 12th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
your comparison would not be relevant to a camera that fully utilizes the h.264 specification... it's a whole lot better than the original mpeg4 codec.

one place that you are going to see those h.264 chips a lot is in cell phone video recording, believe it or not.
Have you got definite confirmation, details, models, or timing on that?

I find this interesting, the HD version have around 450MW-1W of power consumption, thats a lot for a Mobile.

That camera on their homepage, is that a JVC or Sony?
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #17
Trustee

you would not shoot hd resolution with a cellphone, so the power consumption would be a whole lot less... divide it by a factor of 4 or more, depending on the frame size... what i saw awhile back was an obscure japanese website that referenced h.264 in cellphone engineering; i think that a lot of what is happening there is proprietary, which is why you don't see much on it.

thanks for the links... it's funny how the people that write for camcorderinfo.com are so technically inept.

not sure what that camera picture is? unless it uses h.264, i personally would not buy this sanyo... greater things are coming! i was very impressed by the fact that it had an external mic jack, tho.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
you would not shoot hd resolution with a cellphone, so the power consumption would be a whole lot less... divide it by a factor of 4 or more, depending on the frame size... what i saw awhile back was an obscure japanese website that referenced h.264 in cellphone engineering; i think that a lot of what is happening there is proprietary, which is why you don't see much on it.

thanks for the links... it's funny how the people that write for camcorderinfo.com are so technically inept.

not sure what that camera picture is? unless it uses h.264, i personally would not buy this sanyo... greater things are coming! i was very impressed by the fact that it had an external mic jack, tho.
Although, at last year's MacWorld keynote address Steve Jobs was talking about the upcoming implementation of H.264. He said it was a highly efficient codec capable of being 'scaled' from cell phone all the way to full HD resolution. So I think it's likely we will see it show up as a content delivery method to cellphones and perhas as an acquistion codec for their implemented video cameras.

Time will tell...

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #19
Inner Circle

There has been some sample footage put up, not much for now:

http://www.akihabaranews.com/news-10...+monster!.html
http://images.akihabaranews.com/news...1/SANY0001.MP4

Found out some interesting stuff about that ambarella h264 chip (data rates and pro version) and am starting a new thread here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...403#post413403

There has been an announcement of a new Samsung h264 camera:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58261
Old January 17th, 2006, 06:06 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I am getting one of these little babies. They are on sale at Amazon for pre-order - $799.
Hse Kha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petr Marusek
Can you imagine any pro showing up with this camera at a client?
Mount a long shotgun mic on it then ;) LOL

No seriously, I think the pro applications would be to mount them in places where you would not otherwise be able to mount other HD cams. A few examples that come to mind - skydiver's helmet, four of them at different parts of a racing car for different views around a lap, etc...
Old January 17th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #22
Major Player

Thanks for the footage link Wayne, I was looking for that !

Look at the 0.6X wide lens :) looks funny.

EDIT:

Just viewed the footage, not as bad as I thouught it would be, BUT guys take a look at the wepage that Wayne posted:

http://www.akihabaranews.com/news-10951-AKIBA+Sanyo+Xacti+DMX-HD1%2C+the+monster!.html

and view the FLASH VIDEO, this was actually shot on the XACTI HD1 (from what I gather) and downsized for web compression and it looks very good indeed

Anhar
Old January 17th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hse Kha
Mount a long shotgun mic on it then ;) LOL

No seriously, I think the pro applications would be to mount them in places where you would not otherwise be able to mount other HD cams. A few examples that come to mind - skydiver's helmet, four of them at different parts of a racing car for different views around a lap, etc...
Yes, I am interested in a camera for high movement footage too, and the 9Mb/s sample footage isn't complex enough to tell anything, and I would prefer 25MB/s h264 myself.

Anhar, that footage (first file) comes up as 1280*720 in vlc, what is it coming up as in yours?
Old January 18th, 2006, 01:42 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Here are some comparison links of h264, WMV and mpeg2 frames from a DVD transcoder called Nero Recode (in NeroVision Express 3):

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....08&postcount=8
Old January 18th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #25
Major Player

Yep its 720P same as you.

Anhar
Old January 18th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I've been keeping an eye on ebay to see when the DMX-HD1 shows up. Looks like it just did. Pretty expensive though!
Bob C
Bob Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #27
Regular Crew

OMFG! You are right, its already for sale on E-Bay. So I guess it is out and about in Japan already. Too bad we have to wait until March :(

That guy wants to make a killing selling it at $1340!!!
Old January 19th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #28
Inner Circle

New thread, another clip:

New thread, another clip:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58228

Anhar, are you sure the flash window contains footage from the Sanyo HD1 camera?

Thanks

Wayne

Last edited by Wayne Morellini; January 20th, 2006 at 09:09 AM.
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #29
Major Player

Yes Wayne I'm pretty sure, he uses the remote control to switch it off. Also it was discussed over at camcorderinfo, hence from the disscussion I was able to find out that it was shot on the Sanyo, the outdoor was very nice and indoor shots of the big projection was very clean as well, however with that web compression it is difficult to be sure.

P.S you spelt my name wrong :)

Anhar

Last edited by Anhar Miah; January 20th, 2006 at 09:17 AM.
Anhar Miah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 09:15 AM   #30
Inner Circle

So somebody had definite confirmation of that, it was a Sanyo remote in his hand?

Can anybody tell me how I can download that footage to a file, because it just goes troppo trying to play in flash and then wants you to reload it to play it again, argh..? (flash video controls)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhar Miah
P.S you spelt my name wrong :)
Anhar
Sorry about that.

Thanks for your help.

Wayne.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition