DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   HDV Is a Hot Seller (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/57969-hdv-hot-seller.html)

Petr Marusek January 10th, 2006 01:05 PM

HDV Is a Hot Seller

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060110/kyodo/d8f1gmc00.html

60,000 Sony HC-1 cameras sold since introduction, 3x the original projection

HC-1, FX-1, XL-H1 record HDV2, or 1080i

JVC records in HDV1 format, or 720p

Does anyone have any idea how much is HDV2 outselling HDV1? Are there any figures on any other HDV or HD camera sales? What is the percentage that HDV camereas represent overall unit-wise and dollar-wise? Is it very small?

Shannon Rawls January 10th, 2006 04:43 PM

WOW!

No wonder Sony gives a **** less about 24p!

60i is where the $$$ at!!!!! *smile*

- ShannonRawls.com

Kevin Shaw January 15th, 2006 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petr Marusek
Does anyone have any idea how much is HDV2 outselling HDV1? Are there any figures on any other HDV or HD camera sales? What is the percentage that HDV camereas represent overall unit-wise and dollar-wise? Is it very small?

As far as I can tell, Sony pretty much owns the market now for entry-level HD videography, and all of their cameras are 1080i. A recent video magazine survey of a large number of production companies revealed that more of them are already using HDV than all other HD acquisition formats combined. This may still represent a small amount of equipment relative to SD equipment sales, but HD is clearly the wave of the future.

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 15th, 2006 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petr Marusek
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060110/kyodo/d8f1gmc00.html

60,000 Sony HC-1 cameras sold since introduction, 3x the original projection

HC-1, FX-1, XL-H1 record HDV2, or 1080i

JVC records in HDV1 format, or 720p

Just for clarification, there is no "HDV-1" and "HDV-2" in terms of actual standard or classification. This is market-speak which neither Canon nor Sony abide by or agree with.
As mentioned earlier, 1080i is by far and wide outselling the 720p flavor of HDV. Part of it is that Sony has 4 offerings, Canon has one offering, thus making starting point of sales comparison being 5:1 right out of the gate in favor of 1080 vs 720. Add to that the issues that some folks have with the current 720p offering, it doesn't help.
(yes, I know JVC has two HDV cams, but since one doesn't meet the ATSC standard, I don't usually include it in my perspective)

Tom Roper January 15th, 2006 10:51 AM

Quote:

(yes, I know JVC has two HDV cams, but since one doesn't meet the ATSC standard, I don't usually include it in my perspective)
How does one not meet the ATSC standard and not the other? Aren't both 720p30?

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 15th, 2006 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Roper
How does one and not the other? Aren't both 720p30?

It doesn't meet the ITU 709 colorspace requirement. It's an ITU 601 colorspace camera.

Evan C. King January 15th, 2006 02:35 PM

It's funny because people on(I think it was dv.com) were saying that not enough pros were using HDV and if sony doesn't push it professionally like they did dv with the dsr(450 was it?) no one would take is seriously and dvcproHD would easily win. I guess it looks like it's not going to be that easy.

Bill Pryor January 15th, 2006 02:51 PM

I don't think there will be any "winner" or "loser." We'll continue to have multiple HD(V) formats. As far as interlaced vs. progressive, I don't think it makes much difference in the real world. You can deinterlace in post if you want to, or introduce the 24p look if you want to. If I were in the market for a 1/3" chip camera at this time, I would look at how the camera feels, the controls, the reliability and build quality first, because they are all 1/3" chip cameras and all fairly similar in the end product. The differences are personal preference about how they handle, etc. Still, it would be a difficult decision. I've seen great looking footage from several Z1s and know 3 people who have bought them recently. But I like the more professional feel of the JVC (yet I don't like what I read about its big problem). I like the lens interchangeability of the Canon but don't like its price. I like some things about the Panasonic but couldn't work with the P2 thing. So every camera has its own set of plusses and minuses for me. And actually, that's nice. Gives people a choice, just like cars.

Steve Crisdale January 15th, 2006 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
I don't think there will be any "winner" or "loser." Gives people a choice, just like cars.

Not meaning to sound sardonic... but choice in the wrong hands can be a dangerous thing.

And given the current trend for "winners" over "losers" which has been fuelled by a younger generation that doesn't really understand that "winners" must oppress and dominate with ruthless disregard for ethics or morality the "losers" of any conflict - the likelihood of sanity, patience and the resolve to make the devices/software that we choose provide better than anyone expected is becoming more remote with each passing day.

Just something nice and up-beat to start the day with!!