great interview about the equipment-z1-hvx-xl h1 , etc. - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 20th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #91
New Boot

Thanks for the informative thread,
Douglas and Graeme, if you're still monitoring this thread, here's a question for you:
If you had to purchase one of the 'small 4' cameras, with the following criteria in mind, which would it be?

Criteria: projects that mainly involve sit-down interviews and action sports (surf, skate, moto); editing in FCP; delivery for broadcast and DVD in both SD and HD 720p formats -- this year (if I can't make the camera pay for itself in 24 months, then I've got other concerns). Would camera choice change if broadcasting in 1080i?

Thanks,
Mathew
Mathew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #92
RED Problem Solver

Matthew, I'd get the Sony Z1U because it's cheap and easily editable in FCP in all it's modes. No 720p HDV camera supports 720p60 which is very limiting. You can convert the 1080i60 to 720p60 with pretty good quality, you can shoot 1080i50, deinterlace and slow to 24p etc.

The cameras are moving so fast, that I'd get the cheapest and live with that, as cameras that are just so much better are just around the corner.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:48 PM   #93
New Boot

I agree with what others have said here, that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So if the beholder is paying, give them what they want. Many clients will never know the difference in the images produced by the various camera's/formats, but they will notice the cost difference before you can say "(insert favorite format/camera here) rules!".

We produce web content for our clients, so differences noted in this thread are far removed from the reality of their websites. It is for this reason that we have chosen the cost effectiveness of the technology upgrades associated with the Sony Z1.

Considering that we are upgrading from the world of DV to HDV, this significant resolution increase will improve the product that we deliver to our clients, and we will not have to increase our prices to reach this end.

As for the longevity of the HDV format, we still have a VX 1000 that we purchased in 1997 that still comes in useful occasionally.
Dean Steinmann is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition