Which format for a documentary at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old February 26th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #1
New Boot

Which format for a documentary

I'll be tagging along on an expedition in the libyan desert. Part of my role on this trip will involve shooting footage that we hope might be viable for a documentary of some sort. We'd like to potentially market this for the US and Europe, my thinking is, shoot at 50i and then this can always be converted easily to the US format? I havent had much time at all to get acquainted with the camera (The Z1) but in the next coming days before the trip i will. Any advice as to which format to shoot in ect would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Mathew Lipman; February 26th, 2006 at 08:10 PM.
Mathew Lipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

60i is a US format (as opposed to 50i in PAL land).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 08:39 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Generally speaking, I would be inclined to shoot primarily for whichever market would be your primary market (60i for NTSC land or 50i for PAL land), and then deal with conversion for the secondary market.

To do a thorough analysis, to arrive at an optimum solution though, you need to look at a number of factors, such as:

What aspect ratio will the primary audience be viewing at?

Will this be primarily targeted for SD or HD viewing?

Will it be primarily viewed on native interlace displays, or native progressive displays?
Old February 26th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #4
New Boot

would like to shoot 16x9 but i know that previous footage from an earliar expedition was shot on the dvx100 at 4:3, sd. We'd like to make footage from this trip compatible but if this impossible fine. Mostly likely everything will be shot hdv and then converted to SD. Primary market... really unsure, i am in France right now but we are Americans and I really do not know at this time what the primary market is per say. What would be best for the greatest compatibility?
Old February 26th, 2006, 09:52 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Was the previous footage shot with an NTSC DVX100 camera or with a DVX100E (PAL camera)? Was it shot progressive or interlaced?
Old March 7th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #6
New Boot

102a was shot interlaced for first set of footage, was also told that they wished they shot it progressive...
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I'd be inclined to shoot 60i or 50i (whichever you shot with the DVX). That's just based on what little I know though, from what you've said here.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition