what pair to get at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old February 27th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #1
Major Player

what pair to get

Hello everyone, i have a question that has been bugging me for a while. I plan on buying 2 HDV cameras, any brand, (i'm opting for a z1 and xlh1). The reason i'm not buying both of the same model, (2 xlh1s) is because of the lowlight possibility on a lot of the shooting areas. I know for a fact that the xlh1 shoots in 1080i at a res of 1920, but the z1 shoots at 1080i 1440 res.. Is it goingt o be difficult mixing and matching the cameras in post production with various resolutions, or is it not going to matter? Would it be better to just get two XlH1s in the long run? Any ideas? I'm new to the HDV workflow, i have an idea of how to accomodate post prod, but i'm wondering which pair of cameras I should opt for.Thanks
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #2
Wrangler

If possible, always get two cameras with a matching "look". It'll make your life much easier in post-production.
Old February 27th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #3
Major Player

i completely understand that, i've dealt with dv cameras mostly when it comes to matching the output. What i'm worried about in HDV, is, if we get a Z1 and a XLH1, in 1080i mode, wouldn't both cameras still have diff resolutions? Also, any xlh1 users, how is the lowlight capability? does it rival the z1?
Old February 27th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel
I know for a fact that the xlh1 shoots in 1080i at a res of 1920, but the z1 shoots at 1080i 1440 res..
This doesn't sound right unless Canon is using a non-standard version of HDV - otherwise the resulting file from both cameras should be the same 1440x1080 resolution and should cut together reasonably well. Of course each camera is going to have a different 'look' as far as color and gamma is concerned, so making footage from the two look similar may be a bigger concern - but that doesn't really have anything to do with resolution.

Edit: Canon's literature on the camera specifies the standard 1440x1080 resolution to tape, so your information is likely wrong:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...2152&pageno=16
Evan Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #5
Major Player

yeah, i checked up on that, and looks like I was wrong. Thats good though, that means I dont' have to worry about mixing and matching pairs, except for the color/gamma detail. Now my question is: which HDV camera performs the best under low-light scenarios?
Old February 27th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #6
Inner Circle

For what its worth:

Rating from Canon: 60i, 1/60 shutter speed = 7 lux; 30F, 1/30 shutter speed = 4 lux; 24F, 1/48 shutter speed = 6 lux

Rating from Sony: 3 lux @ 18db, F1.6, normal shutter
Old February 27th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Even if cost hadn't been a factor, I think I would still have chosen the FX1/Z1 over the H1, for the low light capability.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #8
Major Player

well I haven't bought the cameras yet, i'm still debating. I'm thinking the perfect scenario would be a z1 and a h1..
Old February 28th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #9
Trustee

From the HDV/P2 shoot-out, I thought that the Canon was the clear low light winner? And yes they both capture 1440 to tape (Canon does full 1980 from SDI) but the Canon holds far more detail then the Sony.
Old February 28th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hodson
but the Canon holds far more detail then the Sony.
Working with both, I'd have to dispute the "far more." Does it offer greater detail? Yes. Far more? I guess it depends which is further, to New York or by bus.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #11
Trustee

Just going off the HDV/P2 shoot-out Douglas. Sony was lowest detail of the bunch. Canon was the highest. Both at 1080i. JVC at 720p was second. As a note the tests were done with artificial detail settings turned to "off", and in doing so the Sony went extreemly soft.
Old February 28th, 2006, 11:48 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I'm not sure which camera is actually the better performer in low light. I've read conflicting accounts, so it is unclear to me which camera handles low light best (FX1/Z1 or H1), but from what I understand, the FX1/Z1 does pretty well, especially at holding down noise when gain is boosted (sounded like the safe choice in that regard).
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:09 AM   #13
Trustee

Robert -"but from what I understand, the FX1/Z1 does pretty well, especially at holding down noise when gain is boosted (sounded like the safe choice in that regard)."

Your quite right Robert. The Sony holds up very well in that regard. In that same (and only comparative) test I'm aware of, it clearly showed that the Canon held a large advantage in the low light catagory. I would be very interested in hearing of any referance to the contrary, if you have one.
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:25 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I'm pretty sure I've seen at least a couple posts here that allude to better low light performance from the FX1/Z1, but I'm not sure where I saw them. I'll keep my eyes open and if I see one again, I'll try to point it out for you. I haven't seeing anything akin to "I put them side by side and one clearly blows the other out of the water" or anything like that.
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:32 AM   #15
Major Player

thanks for the info guys, right now the z1 is only a candidate because of its possible superior low light, thats the only reason i'm opting for a z1 and h1 rather than simply 2 xlh1s..
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition