Macrovision HDV/ HDD Recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old February 28th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Macrovision HDV/ HDD Recorder

I haven't seen any references to the Macrovision HDD recorder for HDV on this forum, so I'll post this link to their website. It is a standalone HDV recorder/player, that uses interchangeable 250GB harddrives. It accepts and outputs all versions of HDV. It's not clear from their website if it is actually available yet, nor have I found anything online from anyone who has used one. I have no information about any editing capabilities it might have. Take a look here and investigate further if it interests you. The topic boxes at the top of the page are the links to different sections. If it is available and can do all they claim, plus a few things I would hope it could do, I'd have a use for one.

http://www.hdvrecorder.us/

http://www.macrosystem.us (Homepage)
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 05:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I took a look at the macrosystem.us website. What they call a technical specification sheet is pretty spartan on tech specs. It's more of a brochure that's mostly puff without much meat to it really.

Basically, it looks like a somewhat stripped down computer. Looks like it'll talk to a camera over the firewire, capture and write back HDV streams, and play the files captured to hard drive, on a monitor through what probably amounts to a pretty plain-jane video card, and to speakers through what probably amounts to a pretty run of the mill sound card (probably built into the motherboard). Not much more than that really. There's no tape deck in it. The DVD drive isn't even a burner (just a reader).

It's not worth 2 grand. You can build a computer that will do more, for less money. Heck, I think I even recognize the chassis. If it's what I think it is, you could buy the same chassis at newegg to build the computer in.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 05:46 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Sorry, I meant the hdvrecorder.us website (was where I looked at that "technical specification" brochure).
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:34 AM   #4
Major Player

I have to say this is of some concern...

Quote:

The MacroSystem HDV Recorder addresses these concerns, providing individuals with a powerful multi-purpose tool well-s
"Well-s...?", then what are they?

I have to say the multiple HTML formatting errors on the site don't inspire much confidence.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:36 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I really get the impression of a couple teenagers building computers in their basement.
Old March 1st, 2006, 04:50 PM   #6
Major Player

Well, remember the first Apple computers were built in someone's garage...

But we'll see. If it's serious kit, it'll get properly reviewed. The claims of proper progressive scan output are interesting, but do they mean that that 1080i footage is deinterlaced and output at 25/30fps, or properly bob deinterlaced giving a good representation of 50/60i look? if it doesn't play interlaced material back properly, then frankly it's as much use as a chocolate teapot.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 04:57 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The way I read it, they're talking about what sounds like loading Vegas or another editor to manipulate the video. There's just way to much puff there (which, when you read and really think about it, isn't even making any terrific claims) with very little detail. It's a cheap computer, and that's about it. I'd bet on it.
Old March 1st, 2006, 05:43 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
The way I read it, they're talking about what sounds like loading Vegas or another editor to manipulate the video. There's just way to much puff there (which, when you read and really think about it, isn't even making any terrific claims) with very little detail. It's a cheap computer, and that's about it. I'd bet on it.
It seems to me that the main appeal of this HDV Recorder, would be that it is basically a turnkey appliance to do copying and storage and perhaps some simple editing, for those who don't want to get immersed in all the complications and long rendering times of using an HDV computer-editing system. Even those with dual-processor, 3.8Gb NLE systems, might have occasions when a simply-operated machine like this would be handy.

Now, if they would just upgrade it to have an HDV tape drive and a Blu-Ray DVD recorder built in and also be able to handle SD video from DV, I believe it would be worth 2 Grand to some people (if it worked properly and dependably).
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 06:09 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Maybe I'm being a little hard on this thing, but frankly, if anyone wants a turnkey solution to do what this thing describes, I'd build one at that price, no problem. I'd use an external enclosure for swapping hard drives though (more flexible really).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition