720p Camera recommendations - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 4th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #16
Inner Circle

IMHO, the Sony's would generally be the HDV cam of choice for run and gun, but that wouldn't necessarily be the case for all run and gun purposes.

For sporting events an HD100U (or HVX200, even though not an HDV cam) could be preferable, since progressive frames can be superior to interlaced frames, for viewing stop action or slow motion footage, in scenes with fast movement.

Interlaced video can be deinterlaced, but there will be a degradation in resolution (that's not exactly entirely true in all cases, but that would be a whole different subject).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Personally, I'd go with the Sony just because of all the traveling and portability required. I've seen de-interlaced videos from it and they look filmic, but of course, those were in mostly controlled environments.

But you should go to EVS. It's not far from your area and get a real feel for these cameras. Ask lots of questions, too. And you'll probably make a better purchase decision.
Xavier Etown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 01:14 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I did a quick test the other night that satisfied me that shooting 60i with my FX1, and deinterlacing in post, can easily produce 30p footage that pretty much blows away anything an SD camera can do, in general.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 04:02 AM   #19
Regular Crew

OK, Robert, you keep teasing us about your footage. Please share, man.
Xavier Etown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #20
New Boot

Thank you all for your helpful replies. Robert, no offense taken, I can definately see how my question would give the impression that I have no idea what I'm talking about. While I have nothing near the knowledge of many people on this message board, I have been shooting DV for a few years. I'm a student, and use a Sony VX2000 and a Canon GL2 (both owned by the school). I use Premiere Pro to edit.

I went into a camera shop yesterday, and was able to use several of the cameras. They had a XL-H1 and a Sony FX1. I hope I can get the money together to get the Canon, because it's an excellent camera. The guy I talked to at Samy's (the camera shop here in Santa Barbara) said that the image control on the Canon is light-years ahead of the options available on the Sony (FX1 and Z1). That is of much importance to me, primarily because I plan to use this camera for future films. I didn't get a chance to do too much with the cameras, other than walk around the store, but the shoulder mount of the Canon seems like it will be much more stable and less tiring than the Sony.

At the moment, my plan for post is not set. I will most likely edit in PPro or FCP. I plan to make a DVD of this documentary, retaining the original HDV tapes and master tape for the future, when it will be more affordable to output to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/whatever. I don't plan on a very large distribution of this documentary, unless it turns out to be good enough to warrant entry into film festivals or some other distribution. While it may seem like I am putting a lot of money into a camera for a small project, I plan on using this camera for a long time to come - again, I am a student and plan to shoot future films in HD.

Please let me know if this sounds like a reasonable plan, or if I've made some incorrect assumptions and will be screwed when it comes to editing and producing DVDs and HD-DVDs.

Thanks again for your help.

-Reed
Reed Shea is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition