Stunning Film Technique clips-Planet Earth - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 6th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #16
Major Player

I forgot to mention the seasonal, full motion time lapse shots! And like Tony mentioned, even the sound design was top notch.

Anyone know what camera they used for the high speed Shark footage? I was wondering how they could have got those shots as at 1000fps you can't just "leave the camera running" and hope to something happens.

I keep thinking how perfect P2 would be for shooting this kind of thing because of the Pre-roll function. I'm sure the Varicam 2 won't disappoint wildlife cinematographers.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #17
Major Player

Actually, material was aquired on 35mm, S16mm, HDCAM and DVCproHD, so some of that stunning imagery WAS captured on film. I gather that S16 was considered bottom of the pile in terms of image quality, but some of the underwater stuff (for example) couldn't be got on HD or 35mm. That may change with the advent of the HDV cameras or the HVX (all came out after the series was done shooting).

I saw a very informative talk on this programme from a BBC rep at VideoForum 2005.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marriage
Anyone know what camera they used for the high speed Shark footage? I was wondering how they could have got those shots as at 1000fps you can't just "leave the camera running" and hope to something happens.

There is a discussion here:
http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthrea...t=37235&page=3
See the foot of the page, where the belief is that it was shot with an Arri Tornado.
David Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Andrews
There is a discussion here:
http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthrea...t=37235&page=3
See the foot of the page, where the belief is that it was shot with an Arri Tornado.
Thanks David!
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition