Why no new HD tape format? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 11th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #16
Major Player

For any of you who have been around long enough to remember, the early camcorders were really two pieces. The camera was the front half, and the "corder" was the back half. In many cases, they were made by different manufacturers.

This seems like a good idea today too! How about establishing a standard "mating" system between the two parts. There could be flash memory, hard drives, DVD, Blue Ray, even tape! I could see an inexpensive memory module with, say, several SD cards multiplexed for increased speed and capacity. I think flash memory prices will be very competitive with tape in not too many years.

The "RED" camera might be a good place to start with this!
Old March 11th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

In fact you have perfectly outlined how RED's modularity is intended to work!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #18
Inner Circle

" I wonder if we can encode H.264 video burn it on a current double sided DVD and have it work on one of the new HD players?"

Yes fortunately there are several DVD players on the market that are able to play wmv-hd or Divx-HD right from a plain DVD-R.
unfortunately, again, peple are lazy and prefer to wait the end of the HD-DVD against BlurRay episode before promoting the winner just simply by buying them.
you dream it and kiss made it !
see http://www.kiss-technology.com/?p=600en&v=users

and if you have nothing against tapes, you could play HD for years just by using a D-VHS player/recorder for very cheap !
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #19
Trustee

I am refering to the yet to be released HD-DVD or Blue-ray. It would be nice if these drives will read HD off of a current DVD+-R.
Old March 12th, 2006, 02:13 AM   #20
Inner Circle

HD-DVD is both a software specification and an hardware improvement on regular DVD (bigger capacities).
nothing prevent to burn a HD-DVD (you can get a sample from microsoft) on a regular DVD-R. You just have a smaller disk, but since you can fit more than 1 hour of HD on a regular DVD-R this is not a real problem.

for Blue-ray they have been smart enough to make sure we need to purchase all the production line (recorder, player, tools, media) from scratch so they are sure to make the big money (specially SONY who owns all the rights about blue-ray)

There is no way to make money from DVD, since everything is dirty cheap, so in the industry nobody can reasonably support such idea (except chinese perhaps).
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #21
Trustee

Ya I wasn't thinking about as far as an industry wide idea, just a way in the future of making cheap media for me to distribute when everyone has HD-DVD/Blue-ray players. If one has long for content then of course we will have to buy the expensive HD disks, but if it's 1hr then a double sided DVD would do the trick. A single sided would fit 1/2hr. More then enough for most peoples short films.
Old March 13th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Apparently it isn't too low for HD. Have you browsed our various HDV boards? And not even 8mbps is "too low for HD" -- I've seen H.264 encoded video on a huge screen at the Apple press conference at NAB last year, and it looked great. My opinion is that tape is dead.

Yes I have seen the HDV samples, and I recently finished a short that I shot on HDV. Overall I am very impressed, but there are still issues with motion artifacts and every once in a while color compression. I also do a lot of FX work so extra color resolution is always appreciated.

I was not complaining about the technology we have now. HDV has allowed me to make HD video at a price point that would have been unbelievable a few years ago. I was just wondering about the feasibility of a new tape.

As usual, the people on this forum had some good answers.

Thanks
Kris Galuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #23
Trustee

"I recently finished a short that I shot on HDV. Overall I am very impressed, but there are still issues with motion artifacts and every once in a while color compression."

I see generic statements like this far too often. HDV isn't a cam, it is a format. If you had issues, name the cam that gave you these issues. Not the format.
Old March 15th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Actually I didn’t have issues, because of the way the short was shot; however, motion artifacts have been common in many of the HDV camera videos, especially the 15GOP variety.
Kris Galuska is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition