HD Media & Data rates at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:45 AM   #1
Major Player

HD Media & Data rates

It just occurred to me... with up to 50GIGs and HD media & players capable of 54Mbps data transfer rates couldn't our HD-DVD/BluRAY authoring programs just write HDV to the disc with out any additional compression (or convert to the player-readable format without addtional compression)?
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:03 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The short answer is probably essentially yes. MPEG-2 is a supported compression standard with the new players. It would be surprising if the video stream and audio stream contained in HDV wouldn't be usable without recompression.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
The short answer is probably essentially yes. MPEG-2 is a supported compression standard with the new players. It would be surprising if the video stream and audio stream contained in HDV wouldn't be usable without recompression.
Anyone else in this forum "jacked" about the fact that they could just dump 22 GIG worth of video on a disc without another step of compression like we do now with DVD? And that the quality will be better without that extra step of compression?
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #4
Trustee

> Anyone else in this forum "jacked" about the fact ...

I'm already jacked on it! I have a Linkplayer2 and it plays the raw files from my HC1 off of plain ol' red-lazer DVDs.

It's SO great to be able to do that ... the 22GB will make it even nicer, although with bigger/longer files it will be interesting to see how navigation is going to be implemented. Playing a raw file doesnt allow for skipping between chapter points etc, so some kind of "authoring" will still be necessary....
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hickling
> Anyone else in this forum "jacked" about the fact ...

I'm already jacked on it! I have a Linkplayer2 and it plays the raw files from my HC1 off of plain ol' red-lazer DVDs.

It's SO great to be able to do that ... the 22GB will make it even nicer, although with bigger/longer files it will be interesting to see how navigation is going to be implemented. Playing a raw file doesnt allow for skipping between chapter points etc, so some kind of "authoring" will still be necessary....
Yes authoring will always be neccessary. My point is that we won't need to compress again and that should result in much higher quality from 25Mbps.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition