Any of you think that... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 26th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Any of you think that...

HDV/DV Dropouts are like the dust and scratched film of our time? (you can discuss other formats in this thread as well.)
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #2
Wrangler

You could be right... and for those who think that HDV will be a short-lived format, maybe future versions of FCP and Premiere might feature plug-ins to simulate dropouts, like the current dirt and scratch simulations ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:34 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I've hardly had any noticeable dropouts since I switched from DV to HDV recording, and to me the HDV dropouts are less irritating. In DV I regularly got lost frames with dramatic blocky artifacts and a terrible sound glitch; in HDV the image dims or blacks out for a moment and then comes back up as if the camera suffered an autoexposure glitch. Either way that bit of footage is unusable and that's why I almost always have a second camera running for anything important. Plus it doesn't cost too much these days to buy a DTE recorder so you can make a duplicate master copy while HDV tape is rolling, and that should eliminate most dropout issues for most people.

The big dust and dirt issue of our time is on the lens, not the recording medium.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

In the future, there will be a Final Cut Pro version 42 that will include a video filter designed to simulate the HDV dropouts of ye olden tymes. Holographic chat rooms will be ablaze with the arguments for and against the use of such filters in achieving that elusive "antique high definition video" look.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Hair

Back in my network TV days during the film era, I had a wonderful boss named Russ Bensley at CBS news. There was particularly annoying editor whom he referred to as a "hair in the gate of life."
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition