1080i and 1080p the difference?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 31st, 2006, 10:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
I didn't say that, I'm just saying that the evidence hasn't shown up yet. If there's a flood of 1080p products about to show up in the pipeline that's good news, but it sounds to me like the researchers are looking ahead at least a couple of years or so.
If you'd read the reports I cited, you'll see that they are reports for current sales, past sales, and projected future sales. Remember, geographic economics are different.
Either way, no point in continuing to throw it back and forth. Suffice it to say that in my podunk little community of 10,000...we see it here. And we see it when we travel.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 11:20 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Either way, no point in continuing to throw it back and forth. Suffice it to say that in my podunk little community of 10,000...we see it here. And we see it when we travel.
Fair enough: I'll look forward to seeing more 1080p displays becoming available soon where I live. If the Costco deal is a sign of things to come, that works for me.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 11:42 AM   #18
Major Player

On the computer side, things need to speed up a whole lot more. As has been said, 720p is pushing it nowadays but then we want to skip up to 1080i/p and make it as seamless as Mini-DV has become. Hard drives are the big one, Serial ATA is relieving a lot of it but it's still the slowest thing in computers these days. Processors, well, that's subjective. Some would say we need more speed and others say we need more optimization. Multicores are the way of the future, it reminds me of when PCWorld magazine had this cover that asked "Do we need anything more than 400mhz?". I can imagine that it will change to "Do we need anything more than 400 cores?". Yes, yes we do. But to the Average Joe this means nothing, but to us filmmakers and videographers, this is essential. They may worry about how their football game will show up on their new HDTV, but we'll be the ones on the sidelines recording that football show and dealing with the hassle of jumping a generation to 1080p and, quite possibly, 2K and/or 4K. Computers are one thing, but just regular HDTVs are another. As has been said, any HD-capable TV today can display all the formats currently in the HD standards lineup, regardless of the display's resolution. Clear fact.

The displays are another thing entirely, right now we're just getting the really good native 1080p displays on the market. For example, my parents bought a 75" Mitsubishi HD-capable TV back when HD was just starting to come out on the market in the late 90's, $10k without the HD-upgrade box. The TV can't "natively" display 1080p, just 1080i. It can do a workaround like other lower resolution TV's and still display the 1080p but it's not going to look as good as one of the 1080p HDTV's in your local Sony Style store. This would be an example of how far we've come in such a short amount of time, the displays are better, they're smaller, and cheaper.

Getting back onto computers, as far as flash goes, there's still a lot to be done before flash becomes the mainstream storage medium. I don't believe flash will ultimately end up being the standard, instead I believe we'll find another option, more than likely the holographic stuff they've been working on for years will yield an acceptable result. But until then, a better and faster connection than Serial ATA would do wonders.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition