Making the plunge from DV to HDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:10 AM   #1
Contributor

Making the plunge from DV to HDV

I'm currently mulling over the switch to HDV/HD acquisition from DV. My clients currently require DV productions (mostly delivered as DVD or interactive CDs), but I know HD is coming rapidly.

Here's my question; how does the SD footage from a HDV sub $10,000 camera compare to SD footage from a higher-end SD camera like the Sony 570 or other 2/3" cameras selling in the $12-15,000 range.

I'm contemplating making this jump now while there's still some resale value left in my SD cameras. I just need to know if the Sony, Canon, Panny, or JVC offerings in this price range offer high enough SD footage to compete.

Thanks!

Stuart
Stuart Brontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:48 PM   #2
MPS Digital Studios

I like the HDV over SD myself. A book to get you started, btw:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097...lance&n=283155

heath
Old April 4th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi,
I am a JVC HD100/HD101 user, and mainly shoot in SD as I cannot currently edit HDV. I have previously used a DSR500 and 570, and find the ergonomics and image quality very comparable. The only major differences in image I have found is that the JVC sometimes (rarely) suffers from vertical streaks when shooting bright subjects, also it is slightly less sensitive in poor lighting conditions. The JVC also doesn't break your back if you have to carry it all day! Hope this helps
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #4

The vertical streaks aren't unique to the JVC, you'll see this to some extent in all small CCD cams. CMOS has no smear, but it has other tradeoffs.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition