Help me set up a green screen! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 9th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Help me set up a green screen!

I bought a cloth green screen- supposedly a "professional" one, however it seems a bit thin to me. But anyways, it's fairly large- not sure of the dimensions, maybe 10 feet by 8 feet. It's hanging from stands - and pinned so that it's tight. There arent many wrinkles. I'm lighting it using very cheap methods I'm aware of that. I bought a few of those floursecent work lamps-- three that are on stands , and two that sit on the floor. Of course I removed the steel cages from them to keep them from creating shadows. My first attempt at light positioning had two stand lights lighting the green screen, then a two floor lights near the green screen but facing the subject to create backlight- or so i though, but im not sure if it really did much. and then one stand in from of the camera aiming at the subject - which created a slight shadow on the green screen. My biggest problem was that I got a lot of green spill on my subject, but im not really sure why. My second problem is that I'm really not sure on where I should place the lights for best positioning. and I dont know how to help the green spill problem. Thanks for any suggestions. I can always take pics of my setup if it helps, or post some clips of my captured footage.
Mark Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #2
Major Player

I've found this helpful, enjoy!
http://www.film-and-video.com/broadc...eenscreen.html
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:59 PM   #3
Sponsor: VASST

If you’re getting a lot of spill then your subject is too close the green screen. They should be at least 5 feet away at a minimum. Also make sure you light the subject separate from the screen. Check out these two tutorials by Keith Kolbo:

Chromakey Techniques for Budget Productions
Gain a better understanding of Chromakey / Greenscreen / Bluescreen

These should help you get good results.

~jr
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey
i havent looked at the tuturials in the earlier posts, ive done about 40 days of greenscreen photography so here's my ultra simple set up:
4-6 red heads (for the screen only)
Full "effect" green Gel's the one's Dj's use, which are extremely dense
Studios Space of about 6*6 meters

u start off by making sure the fabric is well fastened and streched.
if u need to see the performer's legs than u need a green floor.
I hope the material u are using is matte and not reflective , glossy or plastic coverd(iv'e seen horrible "pro" screens in my day)

Place the reds on the sides of the screen about 2 meters from it, so they get a good spread on the screen (make sure they are on Flood and not Spot setting)
so what u need to do is basically get an even spread with the red heads on the screen , covering them with the green Gels.
if u can also light from abouve the screen its great but using them on tripods on the sides of the screen works great also.
once u get a even spread and no visible "hot spots" from the lights' youre good to go.
a good idea would be to use a polariser also, to get rid of highlights from the key lights u will use to light people on the screen.
just make sure they dont step into the green light, and when u dont need to see the floor, throw some black fabric on it to reduce spill on the actors.

Good Luck
Lior.
Lior Molcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 06:11 AM   #5
Regular Crew

use kickers to burn the edges

hi
get 2or 3 kickers with magenta gel to make a high light on left right and top tomake edges with highlights
i personally don;t like but this is easiet way to kill the spill if u can't go distance from the green screen.
carefully plan on lights and minimise the green screen area may help

JY
John Yamamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 06:31 AM   #6
Kino-Eye

Take a look at this thread too....

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=68098

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition