new prosumer priced HDV cams with proscan at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 9th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #1
New Boot

new prosumer priced HDV cams with proscan

i use camcorders as MOTOR DRIVES to get frames to print from fast action video.-- the proscan mode allows for very clean pause - frame/frame playback. asking if anyone knows of a new HD camcorder that shoots progressive -- in the $2000 price range
Ira Friedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Nothing in the $2000 price range will give you progressive HD, sorry.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #3
Trustee

JVC GR-HD1 is $1700 at B&H Photo and provides true 1280x720 pixel sensor progressive HD. (And, available for half the price on EBay...). No 'proscan' that I'm aware of however.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #4
Trustee

"Proscan" is a consumer marketing name for "progressive video".
Yes it appears the JVC-HD1 is the clear winner. Nice clear progressive image and the ability to lock at a high shutter speed. Under budget as well!
Quick note. Put the camera in Sports mode. This will lock you into 1/250+ shutter(gives nice clear picture of fast motion) then you are free to lock the exposure on whatever you like. If your shooting for pictures I would always leave it in this mode. If this is in dim locations you will deffinately need to add light. Leave the AGC (automatic gain control) off. Having it on will allow you to shoot in darker areas, which will look good on the LCD, but will contain lots of chroma noise when viewed later. Keep ACG off and just add light untill it looks fine in the view finder. This will give you a nice clear image(about f4+). If it is still too dark with the all available light, then enable AGC. Try never to go lower then F4.
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #5
Trustee

The GR-HD1 doesn't do 24p, right? Just 30p. Which means it's not ProHD, so tapes recorded with the HD100 will not play in a GR-HD1. But the PAL version of the GR-HD1 must be 25p, so will 25p recorded in a HD100 play in a PAL GR-HD1? Or the GR-HD1 is actually ProHD? Because I was under the impression the HD100 was the first ProHD camcorder.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Sanyo HD1 makes 1280x720 30p, itīs priced about 800$ or less.
Carlos Serrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
The GR-HD1 doesn't do 24p, right? Just 30p. Which means it's not ProHD, so tapes recorded with the HD100 will not play in a GR-HD1. But the PAL version of the GR-HD1 must be 25p, so will 25p recorded in a HD100 play in a PAL GR-HD1? Or the GR-HD1 is actually ProHD? Because I was under the impression the HD100 was the first ProHD camcorder.
Did you post to the correct thread Michael? Not sure if what you are asking has anything to do with the topic?
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
That's true. The first version HD consumer cameras from JVC weren't 'ProHD' in a format sense. They were one of the first HDV cameras. Heath McKnight would be a good person to answer this question because he owned the earlier cameras.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #9
Trustee

Again not sure why this is being discussed in this thread as it has nothing to do with the topic (maybe these last threads can be moved and a new topic started?) Moderator?

That said, ProHD is not a format. It is a marketing name used by JVC to identify its new "Pro" style shoulder mount HDV cams. All of the shooting modes from all of the JVC cams are HDV compatible. That said the older HD1/10 were not designed to use the 24p mode (although I have read that you can use a 24p captured tape in a HD1/10 and firewire it out to a PC. Apparently you get no LCD display on this playback, but it will output the stream fine)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition