Camera Comparison/Workflow Options Flow Chart at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old July 29th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera Comparison/Workflow Options Flow Chart

I remember someone posing a similar question like this after NAB, but haven’t heard anything about it since. I would love to have some sort of huge camera comparison/workflow option flow chart. Something like this:

Let’s say the top level has camera choices: RED, Silicon SI-1920, Panasonic HVX200, Canon XL HI, JVC GY200…

The next level down has recording options: 4K 60p, 2K 120p, 1080 60p, 1080 60i, 1080 30p, 1080 24p, 720p…

The next level has codec options: REDCODE, Cineform, DVCPRO HD, MPEG2…

The next level has degree of compression: uncompressed, 5:1, 4:1, 2:1...

The next level has recording media options: REDCODE, Cineform RAW, HD-SDI, P2, HDV, DV….

The next level has NLE compatibility: FCP, Premiere, Avid…

You get the idea…

So it would work like this:

Whatever camera I select at the top level affects all the choices below it. If I choose the Panasonic HVX200, everything below that it doesn’t offer is grayed out (like REDCODE and Cineform RAW…). Then if I go to the next level down and choose 1080 30p, other options below would be grayed out (like HDV and DV). This way, not only can you see the options of each camera, but you can also see your workflow options.

So the chart would need to be organized with the widest options at the top. Maybe it could even be made with the ability for the user to drag and drop the order of the levels. I’m not at all programming savvy, so I don’t know the limitations, or even how long this would take to make. But I can’t imagine anyone (who doesn’t already know everything) who wouldn’t love the ease of such a chart.

Here’s a few more qualities that could be included on other levels. I’m sure there are many others.

CCD or CMOS…
CCD size (1/3”, 2/3”)
Lens options (Primes…)
Lens adapter compatibility (P&S, M2…)
Number of XLR inputs
Jeff Cottrone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition