Thought this was funny at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old August 1st, 2006, 10:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Thought this was funny

No real reason, this guy seems so annoyed by widescreen found it funny.

http://www.tv.com/television-hardwar...4588/msgs.html
Mack Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:28 PM   #2
New Boot

Thanks for the laughs

Those people have way too much time on their hands. Perhaps they're not "content creators" and feel helpless in a marketplace dictated by things they can't control, like resolution and aspect ratio. The whole history of the theatrical exhibition of films is one of warring screen formats.

But I have to agree with the guy on one thing: some subjects are proabably better without a widescreen: intimate biographies, claustrophobic documentaries about people, etc.
John Dentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #3
Major Player

And don't forget documentaries about skyscrapers!
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

It just cracks me up because this guy serious describes widescreen as some gimmick best buy invented because its cool, little does he know 4:3 is on its way out.
Old August 10th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #5
Major Player

er, dang whipper snappers with thier blastid wide screen
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 03:22 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dentino
some subjects are proabably better without a widescreen: intimate biographies, claustrophobic documentaries about people, etc.
Well, plenty of intimate, claustrophobic documentary/biography films are 16:9 and beyond - no problem there. ;)

There's a vision-perception theory that we can 'fall into' a movie if the horizontal field of view is 100 degrees or wider. This was confirmed by folks at NASA whilst researching VR goggle systems. Flight and driving simulators (professional ones) did the same thing (some people got airsick just watching the one I saw at SGI).

In the UK, we've committed to 16:9 - if you're shooting for TV, 16:9 is mandatory. However, most broadcast/satellite transmission is still 4:3 for compatibility, so all 16:9 material has to conform to a '14:9 safe area', so 16:9 stuff is shown somewhere between letterbox and full-screen on a 4:3 set, with top and bottom areas being cropped on a 16:9 set. Or something.

So it's a bit of a mess, but there's no 4:3 sets for sale above the cheap 12" sets destined for children's bedrooms. I believe that once the full switch to digital TV takes place (2012?), broadcast will be 100% 16:9 FHA, with the decoder circuits handling the letterboxing for legacy 4:3 sets and ARCs making 4:3 into 14:9.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 05:07 AM   #7
New Boot

16:9

I can remember reading in a video forum people debating the need for 16:9 against 4:3 not more than about 4 years ago. Seriously these were supposed pro's who were arguing that 16:9 was more of a gimick than anything else. Interestingly these same people have gone amazingly quiet!

Regards to all

Roland
Roland Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #8
Major Player

Yeah, it doesn't make sense that they will force us to go HD but yet they keep selling SD tv's.... I like the way the UK is doing things.
Kevin Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Im not gonna lie, Im a bitter videographer! I love the fact that not everyone has HD, gives me a leg up on everyone else. But then if everything 1080i I wouldnt have to down converted or crop my work.
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:27 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Fisher
Im not gonna lie, Im a bitter videographer! I love the fact that not everyone has HD, gives me a leg up on everyone else. But then if everything 1080i I wouldnt have to down converted or crop my work.
I was speaking strickly from a "the FCC is designed to protect the people" standpoint.
Kevin Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #11
Major Player

Larry's problem is that he has No peripheral vision and no one ever told him. Consider this: He sees the world like he has a brown paper bag over his head with a small pencil hold punched in it. In that case, yes, a 50 inch widescreen tv would mean he would have to look all over the place to put the full image together.

either that or Larry is just really -well somethings really wrong with his brain.
Old August 15th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thought this was funny

How about Narrow Screen.

I had a book about the CN Tower in Toronto.

It was 4 inches wide and 20 inches high, a TV to show this would need to be ultra narrow screen.
Old August 15th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #13
Regular Crew

why not just turn your wide screen on end, make it 9 x 16, then you could show skyscrappers and such.
Old August 15th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #14
Regular Crew

long live 4:3 !

Guys,
I bought my dvx100 recently, and have never thought of shooting anything other than 4:3 for my family events. Haven't seen any success with wide (or "panoramic") photo cameras, my dSLR is 4:3 too (and they won't change). My screens are all 4:3 too, both for PC and HT.

I am not against 16:9, but the vertical size has to be high enough, otherwise the eye is left wanting the rest of the image. So 16:9 is fine for cinema, but for the small screens at home, 16:9 is inappropriate.

Ideally, the image would be almost round, like a lens or our eyes... why view life through a 16:9 band?

It's rather unfortunate that the mass market has adopted 16:9 for the wrong reasons (to be more compatible with large screen cinema), and ignored the right reasons (4:3 is more comfortable on domestic small screens).
Chris Suzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suzor
It's rather unfortunate that the mass market has adopted 16:9 for the wrong reasons (to be more compatible with large screen cinema), and ignored the right reasons (4:3 is more comfortable on domestic small screens).
Widescreen viewing looks fine to me, and I look forward to the day that most acquisition, delivery and new TV sets are in this aspect ratio. What's really unfortunate is that we currently have a mix of aspect ratios on US broadcast TV, sometimes within the same program!

If you have customers with widescreen TVs it's time to start thinking about producing in widescreen format, since they paid a lot of money for those TV sets. 4:3 acquisition is obsolete.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition