DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Hdv?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/73310-hdv.html)

Richard Bacevac August 9th, 2006 12:52 PM

Hdv??

I just have a simple question.
Do you think it's time for buying HDV camcorder already??It's not that I need it I have Pana GS400 which is good but I am moving back to Europe and usually there HDV camcorders are more expensive than here in USA.Just thinking in to the future or should I wait and buy it later??

Mack Fisher August 9th, 2006 01:54 PM

Its to general of a question. What do you shoot and who are you shooting it for, and what would the end product be? If your entire workflow is situated around SD then mabye your not ready for HDV

Michael Hendrix August 9th, 2006 02:20 PM

Look at the Sony Z1U. Pretty proven camera and works in 60i and 50i which means when you go to Europe, you are compatible.

Chris Barcellos August 9th, 2006 02:50 PM

Or Canon's upcoming offerings, or Fx1, HC-1 or HC-3 or A1 from Sony. You don't have to go all the way up the ladder from your GS400... Most shoot HDV or SD, so you have it when you are ready to go..

Mack Fisher August 9th, 2006 08:46 PM

Thats true the only reason I would say not to go HDV would be if your using an older system to edit that cant support HDV, other than that there is no reason not to go HDV.

Bruno Donnet August 10th, 2006 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Bacevac
It's not that I need it I have Pana GS400 which is good but I am moving back to Europe and usually there HDV camcorders are more expensive than here in USA.

The price difference is not so high now, and if you buy your new HDV camcorder in the USA, it will be in HDV/60i (and DV/60i NTSC).
Europe is in PAL and even with the HDV there's still a difference: HDV is in 50i there. You will maybe spare some $ but have more troubles (to display your footages at home, to copy/share them with friends,...etc).

So, if you still want to change your camcorder, I advise you to wait for your return in Europe.

Richard Bacevac August 10th, 2006 07:10 AM

Thank you guys for your inputs.
Basically I dont know what I'll be doing back in Europe.I want to do a weddings but I havent been in Europe for a couple of years,so I dont know what's waiting for me.
The main reason why I am asking is that I could sell my GS400 here in USA for probably good price even If it's PAL and just buy a new camcorder.I heard that a lot of people here in USA prefer PAL camcorder over NTSC,is that right??
I can buy PAL camcorders in USA without a problem,that's good.
Or just keep GS400 as backup till I"ll figure it out what I am going to do and later to buy HDV??.
I'm just starting.

David Kennett August 10th, 2006 09:28 AM

Richard,

Obviously, you're considering HDV with an eye on the future. Europe appears to favor standardizing on 720p for broadcasting. A choice I heartily endorse! Just another factor.

Chris Barcellos August 10th, 2006 09:32 AM

I think you should look at this more as an issue of wanting to work with a better image, than whether it is a choice between HDV and SD. My GS120 is a neat little camera, but it doesn't do near as good a job as my VX2000. I don't know the GS400, but I would wager, it falls somewhere below the VX2000, in image quality. Now the newer small form factor 1 chip Sony and upcoming Canon models will also likely offer a better SD image, have true 16:9, and will also have the bonus factor of HDV capability. WARNING, once you start messing with HDV or any HD, you will be hooked....

Mack Fisher August 10th, 2006 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Bacevac
.I heard that a lot of people here in USA prefer PAL camcorder over NTSC,is that right??

No thats not right, people like the HDR-Z1U because its cf25 is a way better solution than its red headed step brother cf24. So people like to use it for their short films or what have you. That is the only time I have really seen people go for PAL in the US.

Bruno Donnet August 10th, 2006 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Kennett
Richard,
Obviously, you're considering HDV with an eye on the future. Europe appears to favor standardizing on 720p for broadcasting. A choice I heartily endorse! Just another factor.

720p is in favor by the CCIR European commitee for HD TV broadcasting, but the TV broadcast companies don't actually follow this way: all the planned HD channels, or already available ones, propose HD only in 1080i (but, sure, the original footages can be sometimes in 720p, espacially when bought to some US broadcast companies).
The main reason seems to be a marketing one: PAL is already in 576i and the gap between 720p can be seen as being too small by the consumers (even if the 'p' makes all the difference... that's too much technical to explain to them).

Richard Bacevac August 10th, 2006 02:45 PM

True I'am looking more into the future than actually in need of HDV at this time.I'm just starting and probably only reason why I'm considering HDV camera right now is that I'm moving back to Europe and for me would be
better off to buy it here.
Or just wait what happens and buy it later in Europe.

Laurence Kingston August 13th, 2006 10:29 AM

Having just got back from a trip to Britain and France, I'd say buy here. Camera gear is way more expensive there.

Heath McKnight August 13th, 2006 08:34 PM

Think of the future (HD) and then consider which camera you will use. I love the Z1 best. Always test different brands and weigh the options, but if you like your current SD Sony, you'll likely love the Z1.

heath

Bruno Donnet August 14th, 2006 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston
Having just got back from a trip to Britain and France, I'd say buy here. Camera gear is way more expensive there.

I presume that you have only seen the prices in street shops: compare to the US street prices, they are often higher, but if you check on the Internet market, you will find some Europeans vendors(*) making better prices than on street, and you will see that the price difference with the USA becomes tiny.

Sometimes this difference is often less than the VAT that is the rule here: the tax is between 15 and 20% depending on the European state.
If somebody buys a goods in USA thinking to make a spare of 10%, he can be desappointed to pay 20% of tax at the customs entrance... (that will be the case if he has no return ticket because he wants to stay in Europe as it's the case for Richard; if he's a simple tourist, no problem...)

(*) I don't mention Asian vendors (mainly through ebay), because both US and European citizens can have access to them.