Anyone been tracking the Infinity Grass Valley Lately? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old August 24th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #16
Major Player

Infinity...

As for the ETA, I've been told "sometime in October." The weight of the camera will be a relief to me, whatever it is, after my trusty old JVC KY-D29/BR-D40 combination!

My main area of concern is whether the CCDs are native progressive, which I was told by the factory techie or the distributor, can't recals. Next is if it fakes progressive output, does it to a seamless job like the XDCAM iHD is reputed to do?

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 03:38 PM   #17
Major Player

Native Progressive Infinity

My Infinity sales rep (Dick Dienhart - florida area) said that the camera did provide progressive chips. I would have included my questions to Dick and my answers from him but that PC has crashed and we're trying to rebuild the two RAID sets now.
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #18
Major Player

Great news if accurate...

That's great news. If those are progressive chips, then 1080P may really be only a firmware upgrade away. If so, I'm a buyer ready to lay down a deposit.

Tip
Old August 26th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #19
Major Player

Correction on lens...

In my post above I read from the TVMagic quote the model number of a the Canon lens I like: Hh17ex7.6B IRSE. Having browsed the Canon web site I found what appeared to be this lens but it is called Hj17ex7.6B IRSE.
Old August 27th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Call
My Infinity sales rep (Dick Dienhart - florida area) said that the camera did provide progressive chips. I would have included my questions to Dick and my answers from him but that PC has crashed and we're trying to rebuild the two RAID sets now.
This would surprise me if they were indeed progressive. Since the addition of 24P & 30P were a decision that was reached just a few months ago. The Infinity camera that was operational at InfoCom (June 6, 2006) was a 1080i only camera. Unless they are throwing in some different progressive chips, I would think that Infinity would derive it's progressive frame rates from a smart software type of deinterlacing.
Old August 27th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #21
Major Player

Xdcam Hd

...does progressive in software and supposedly it works great up to a certain frame rate or shutter speed, then the vertical resolution drops in half, I would perhaps pass on this camera if all it has is interlaced CCDs. Some sources are saying they've taken the last few months to upgrade the CCDs -- but that sounds more like a timeframe to write software, not rearchitect the imaging system.
Old August 27th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I hope that it will not lose anything. The Sony XDCAMHD doesn't lose any resolution when in 30P or lower frame rate. However it does lose some of it's vertical resolution in any frame rate above 30P. So perhaps Infinity will retain all it's glory. I guess we will see soon enough. I do believe the Rep at InfoCom stated that the first generation of camera's will not offer progressive recording, but early adopters can receive a software update to progressive recording. The way the rep described this camera, it's looks as if Infinity is scalable with updates.
Old August 28th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #23
Major Player

I wonder about 720 60P...

Strange that it already does 720 60P. That must be done in software, but the 720 30P back and forth with 1080 60i that the HDV cameras do can't provide the information for the 60P image, or can it?

I doubt if either of us is terribly concerned if the Infinity won't produce progressive at 1080 above 30 frames/second, and really I would be mostly concerned that it did 24. As long as there was no problem with shutter speed above 1/30 second, I'm okay with frame rate limitations but I do need 1/48 shutter speed and would like 1/60.

I'm going to get the southern California tech guy, who I believe is from the Philips mother country, to give me some answers.

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition