Music Video shoot... need advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old August 30th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #1
New Boot

Music Video shoot... need advice

I have 4 options... DigiBeta, HVR A1U, HDR FX1, or HVX200.

I have NO experience with any HD formats. (I know, I'm old school)

The A1U is my cheapest option, Digi next, followed by FX1, and HVX200 last.

I am using Xpress ProHD with Mojo (component). Final MASTER, still debating, probably Digi. Distribution to stations will be Beta SP.

thanks
Paul M. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Paul, where can you rent DigitBeta cams cheaper than HDV or the HVX200? I ask because at my nearest rental source, DigitBeta pkg. runs $700 day vs. the HVX @ $275/day and the HDV's a little less.

If you want bang for the buck, I say go HVX. Really, really versatilve because of the multiple formats, variable frame rates, and compact size and ease of use. However, not sure about your NLE, how it would handle the P2 data etc., versus HDV or DigiBeta. But the HVX can do a lot of things, easily. Good luck.
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the reply... The Digi comes cheap cause it's Free (loaner), I would just have to rent the wideangle lens....

Since I haven't worked with HD or HDV, I don't know how it compares to Digi. I too get the HVX for about 300, I don't mind the cost as long as it gives me a better look. To capture the Digi I need to capture else where via SDI to an external. The HVX I would use firestore, and bring it straight it. Hopefully my drives are fast enough, I'm using an onboard SATA raid 250g

Thanks again, it you can share you experience it really will help me.
Paul M. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Paul,

I'm don't what data rate you'd digitize your DigitBeta footage at. But if your system can handle at least the 720p DVCPRO HD from the HVX200, and assuming your NLE will import P2 (like FCP) then I really recommend the HVX, based on my experience using it.

It is a popular music video camera because it is so damn versatile and can get so many of the "looks" people want. Plus it is so easy to use and that stubby wide lens lets you get all over the place. If you like shooting tight and wide.

BTW Scott Billups says in his book that "HD is basically glorified DigitBeta"...
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Look at your concept first, it'll be easier to determine the camera.
Albert Rudnicki
www.yayofilms.com
Albert Rudnicki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition