HD Video Camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old September 15th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #1
Tourist

HD Video Camera

Hello,

I don't want to waste your time, and this question might have been asked already (couldn't find it), but.... I am going to ask it anyway.

I have a low budget, around the $1500. Here are my choices:
- Sony DSR-PD150
- JVC HD10U

I'm not looking for any pros and cons of these video cameras. I'm looking for an advice as should I get the Sony for all it's manual features, the built quality and the specifications (3CCD, etc.) and wait 3 years to get a decent HD video camera or should I jump on the HD with the JVC?

I am planning to keep the camera for about 3 years.

Then, which one will have the better reselling value?

I did some research online for sample clips of both, and to me, it seems that the JVC has a better picture quality, except in some cases for a picture over-exposed. But this might come from the fellow who shoot in fully automatic mode.

I have seen fireworks taped with the JVC and it's not as grainy as this too.

All comments are welcome to help me decide. Sometime, it seems that the more we read, the more confused we get!

Best regards to all.

Eric.
Eric Galton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #2
Major Player

If you don't mind me asking, why isn't the Sony HDR-HC1 in your list? It seems to be in your price range, and it's a very nice HDV camera with a decent (to me) amount of manual controls.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 02:30 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I've heard MANY bad things about the JVC HD10U.
It was the first really affordable HD camcorder on the market, but it had many faults. If you need good manual control, I would go for a Sony.

But of course Chris is right too, the last months there have been some new other HD(V), cheaper, offerings on the market.
Best regards,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 05:12 AM   #4
Major Player

I agree with Chris. You can get a HC1 pretty much new, and theres even a possibility you can get a HVR-A1U used for close to that.(1500-1900) The A1U is the professional version of the HC1 and has more manual controls and XLR inputs. You have HD options other than the JVC at this price range. Check out the respective forums on these boards for more info.

-burk
Jason Burkhimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #5
Trustee

The two cams are polar opposites in every single way. Both excell in certain areas, but completely opposite of each other. I would ask how you possibly narrowed down your choices to these two cams? They are of similar size and layout. I think if you know the types of projects you are planning the choice would be very clear. If your into artistic shorts, have a lighting kit, tripods, filters, and a good knowledge of videography or need HD the HD10 will suit fine. For everthing else the PD150 would be preferred.
Old September 21st, 2006, 07:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Galton
Hello,

HD video camera or should I jump on the HD with the JVC?

I am planning to keep the camera for about 3 years.

Then, which one will have the better reselling value?

Eric.
I do have the JVC HD1 the HD10 twin without the microphone and with edge enhancement. I've been very happy with the camera. I come from a Canon GL1 and the visual quality is much superior since even with the GL1 I was doing only 16:9 and watch them on a HDTV (my 1st HDTV was one of the first in the country). The camera has its own problem though, manual is basically not existing. I use it with some trick but it is a pain. Resolution is good but inferior to the newer HDV. Much better resolution than the GL1 though (the GL1 was doing 16:9 with anamorphic lens without losing pixels).
Where the HD1 is really limited though is latitude or DR depending how you call it. I had to use filters (polarizer, ND, gradual ND) all the times and the all together is getting pretty complicated. I have some great footage though and the gl1 never gave me stuff like that. WHen I show it to some friend nobody believe I did it myself. Again, big learning curve and a lot of annoying problems.

The PD150 is a great camera. I understand how hard it is to choose. At this point is really up to you and your work. If you like real progressive scan and if you do 16:9 progressive DVD, if full manual is not really important and if you can live with its issues the HD10 can be for you. If latitude is a very important feature, if you use it in churces or closed places, if 4:3 is fine and interlace is fine too the Sony is for you.

Remember also that progressive has its issue that have nothing to do with the camera. 30fps progressive will have some typical film artifacts if you don't use precautions, certain shutter speed etc. Interlaced is much more forgiving in that sense.

Regards
Gabriele
Gabriele Sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #7
Major Player

Gabriele, I have a GR HD-1 too and I agree there is a very steep and long learning curve on how to get the best video capture. I am hoping that my next camera will be easier to learn.

Eric, whatever you get, I highly reccomend you get some sample image clips and carefully review them. All these cameras have vastly different qualities to the images they capture.

I have looked at a lot of video captures lately and the cheaper camera 1080i images just don't look good to me.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition