Theatrical distribution of JVC-HD100 footage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old October 4th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Theatrical distribution of JVC-HD100 footage?

Currently I have a JVC GY-HD101E and I'm about to make a feature that hopefully will be transfered to film for theatrical distribution. I wonder if my JVC will produce enough good quality for the cinemas.
Other options would be the Sony XDCAM HD PDW-330, 350 or Panasonic AJ-HDX900.

My questions are:
1. Will the JVC lower recording quality be an obstacle for the theatrical distribution?
2. Will the quality difference of the superior cameras justify the extra expense?
(The 330 costs around $16,000. The Panasonic and Sony around $26,000)
Melvin Torrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

DVX films like November and 9 Songs and Lonesome Jim and Murderball have all gotten theatrical releases (and Murderball got nominated for an Oscar.)

PD150 films like "Open Water" and "SuperSize Me" have had theatrical releases (and SSM was also nominated for an Oscar).

If your content's great, and a standard-def DVX could do it, then the JVC certainly should be able to deliver on its end of the bargain.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #3
Contributor

I agree. "The King Is Alive" was shot with PD150s, and it's some of the best looking video I've ever seen transferred to film. "Spellbound" was shot with an XL1. "Chuck & Buck" was shot with a VX1000, as was Hal Hartley's amazing "The Book of Life" in 1999. "Tadpole" was shot with PD150s. Hell, look at "Dancer in the Dark," Lars Von Trier's Palme d' Or winner. The "real life" sequences were shot Digibeta, but all the really good stuff, the fantasy dance sequences were shot with PD100s. A hundred of them, in sync.

The JVC will give you better quality than any of the cameras used to shoot those films. Assuming you know how to use it, light and compose properly, and all that good stuff.

On the other hand, if somebody drops an F-350 or HDX900 in your lap at no additional cost over the JVC, go with either of them.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #4
Major Player

Bad lighting, poor camera moves and crummy audio will kill a feature far, far quicker than the camera choice. You get all that stuff right on and I doubt the HD100 will let you down.

www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 03:05 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you for your replies, I will stick with the HD100 and im sure it will do the job.
Melvin Torrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 04:18 AM   #6
Major Player

If you want to see something in the cinema shot with the JVC look no further than spain, Bigas Luna's latest flick, for the life of i can remember, but it's definitly shot on the jvc, and the french film director Claude Lelouch is also shooting a flick shot on the JVC as well. So big names attached to the JVC huh?
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #7
Contributor

I think more people use JVC's pro cameras in Europe than in the U.S. Seems to me that 720p is sort of becoming the European standard, while here it's going to be 1080.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #8
Regular Crew

No

"Seems to me that 720p is sort of becoming the European standard, while here it's going to be 1080."

No, they choose 720p over 1080i, but they'll take 1080 when it's attached to a P. They don't prefer 720 over 1080, they prefer the letter p over the letter i.
Andrea Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 06:57 PM   #9
Contributor

That makes sense.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition