Are these TRUE HD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old October 24th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #1
New Boot

Are these TRUE HD?

Are all these camaras listed in this section "TRUE" high defenition? Because I heard in a couple places that some camras like the canon line is not "TRUE" HD... Help...I want to switch to HD but am not sure what camaras I should be looking at...Any suggestions...Thanks
Javier Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier Perez
Are all these camaras listed in this section "TRUE" high defenition? Because I heard in a couple places that some camras like the canon line is not "TRUE" HD... Help...I want to switch to HD but am not sure what camaras I should be looking at...Any suggestions...Thanks
All of the cameras are indeed true HD. HD is a specification. Any camera capable of shoot at I think it is greater than 525 ? lines of resolution is HD. They may not be or look like Cinealta HD, but they are indeed HD.

Mike
Old October 24th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Dont believe that crap. That is like saying DV isn't real SD because it is compressed or that a DVD isn't real SD video. HDV cameras are real HD. They sure as heck are not SD that is for sure. It may not be as rich and detailed as a $100,000.00 HD camera but then again neither was DV when compared to a $35,000.00 Digibeta camera even though both were SD.

The Canon XL-H1 has been used side by side with the $100,000.00 cameras with very very good results so you shouldn't be too worried about it.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:48 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
This debate has been raging since HDV was introduced, largely because people with expensive HD cameras don't want to accept that a sub-$5K camera can produce useful high-definition video. Of course there's a difference between an inexpensive HDV camera and an expensive HD broadcast camera, but that doesn't mean one is "true" HD and one isn't. For some applications a certain level of camera and image quality may be required, and you should understand this when choosing an HD camera, but other than that "true" HD is a matter of interpretation.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #5
Trustee

While all of the above is of course true, but one mustn't forget Sony executive Phil Harrison, who got a little over-excited at the prospect of 1080p60 during Sony's Tokyo Game Show PlayStation 3 preview:

Quote: "The PlayStation 3 is the only format that can do full HD, true HD."
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:17 AM   #6
New Boot

Ok ..so which camara would you guys suggest I should be looking at?

thanks
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:24 AM   #7
Inner Circle

All of them. Go to the store and put them all in you hands and see what feels good to you. The four main manufacturers Sony, Pany, JVC and Canon all have great cameras. Establish your budget and determine your requirements then make a decision based on that.

Mike
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:55 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Ok ..so which camara would you guys suggest I should be looking at?
What are you planning to do? If you're going to be doing broadcast TV work you might want to look at the Panasonic HVX200 or Sony XDCAM HD; if you're shooting weddings and such try any of the 3-chip HDV cameras. If you're planning to shoot a movie try the Silicon Imaging SI-1920 or get in line to buy "Red" when it ships.
Old October 25th, 2006, 07:05 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Javier,

Just so we can make this post somewhat useful to all, what is your total budget? Camera, tripod & head, lights, stands, audio equipment, cases, computers and software------and all?

What can you spend?

Mike
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
What are you planning to do? If you're going to be doing broadcast TV work you might want to look at the Panasonic HVX200 or Sony XDCAM HD.
Or the Canon XL-H1 and XH-G1 since they were designed for braodcast.
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Javier,

Just so we can make this post somewhat useful to all, what is your total budget? Camera, tripod & head, lights, stands, audio equipment, cases, computers and software------and all?

What can you spend?

Mike
Well, actually what I am doing is upgrading. I currently have 2 GL2's which I wanted to replace with new HD camaras. I work with FCP and have a MAC computer. Which I will also be upgrading for more ram...So I really only have to spend money on the camaras and upgrading the apple. For the camras I basicly want to get a good product for good money (doesn't everyone.). But I like to spare no expense because I have noticed if I go cheap I pay in the long run..Now I can't spend no 10,000 dollars on one camara..I would be looking around spending around 2,000 maybe a bit more per camara...
Old October 26th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Perry
Or the Canon XL-H1 and XH-G1 since they were designed for braodcast.
If you're referring to the fact that the XL-H1 and XH-G1 have HD-SDI outputs for use in a broadcast studio setting that's true, but for field use most broadcast folks seem to prefer other recording formats besides HDV.
Old October 26th, 2006, 07:27 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Now I can't spend no 10,000 dollars on one camara..I would be looking around spending around 2,000 maybe a bit more per camara...
The best HD camera under $2000 is probably the Sony A1U, but for professional purposes you'd be better off spending a little more for the FX1 or FX7.
Old October 26th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
The best HD camera under $2000 is probably the Sony A1U, but for professional purposes you'd be better off spending a little more for the FX1 or FX7.
I have the Sony HVR-A1 and in good light it looks almost the same as the FX1 or Z1. The FX1 looks quite a bit better in low light, but you can work around that.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #15
New Boot

What about the canon XH A1?
Javier Perez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition