Shooting with a fixed-lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old October 30th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #1
Tourist

Shooting with a fixed-lens?

Still learning about cameras and developing my filmmaking skills and had a question that is probably very basic but...
I have been using an Xl2 and have been deciding which HD camera to jump to and I see people shooting complete films and videos on the fixed-lens cameras. I just don't get how you get through a full project with only one lens. So I wanted to get some input from anyone using a fixed-lens HD camera as too how you do it. Doesn't the limitation get in the way of what you want to do creatively?

Thanks
Jeff Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 06:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Jeff,

By 'Fixed lens' do you mean a non interchangeable ZOOM lens? Which, of course has a variable focal length. Most people can get by if the lens has a decent 'wide' end. If you need them, there are adapters to go on the ends of the lens for both telephoto and wide angle shots.

I ask because fixed lens to me, means fixed focal length. That is, a 50mm or 100mm or 25mm lens. So that one might shoot a feature film, using 'fixed primes' of varying lenghts.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have seen some wide angle adapters..I know in still photography the less glass you have to shoot thru the better the pic and would assume that is trued in videography.

Using one of the WA adapters on a fixed lens on a video camcorder, how much quality is lost if any?
thanks
Jerry.
Jerry Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:34 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Obviously, the better the quality of the lens and adapter, the better the final image. Century optics makes a pretty good adapter. Someone else does too... I forget their name. Some lenses might not give you a full zoom through on some adapters. Slight chromatic abberations sometimes occur at max wide, some vignetting on some lenses... Your mileage may vary.
(And these adapters aren't cheap.)
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 01:12 AM   #5
Tourist

Fixed-lens

Thanks guys.

Yeah I was talking about the difference between an interchangeable lens set up like the XL H1 and the fixed-lens of the HVX and HVR.

I haven't tried any of the adapters before I would just think that its limiting compared to having the option of swapping out for different and in some cases a higher quality lens. It just seems like it limits the options but like I said I haven't really tried it that way I've just been using the XL2.

I would jump on the HVX or one of the new canons coming out but I'm worried I wont be able to get all I want out of the camera with no option to swap lenses. The H1 seems way to heavy for run and gun.
Jeff Michaels is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition