DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Whats the diffrence? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/78700-whats-diffrence.html)

Javier Perez November 1st, 2006 09:14 PM

Whats the diffrence?

Between the Canon XH-A1 and the panasonic HVX200? They have a pretty big price diffrence....I know one of the main things are the frame rate adjustments that can be made with the panasonic and not the canon...Any other big diffrences? thanks

Mathieu Ghekiere November 2nd, 2006 05:37 AM

The Canon can record on minidv tape in Mpeg2-compressed HDV.
The Panasonic records on (pretty expensive) P2 cards that hold DVCPro HD.
That's the biggest difference because it requires a big change in workflow.
You should first look at that workflow (do a search) and then you can look at other camera specs to compare.

Best regards,

Dee Joslin November 2nd, 2006 08:56 AM

Exactly right Mathieu. Also, the Canon is 1080i only whereas the Panasonic is 720P or 1080i or P.

Javier Perez November 2nd, 2006 09:28 AM

but even though the canon puts it on miniDV tape its still HD right? Just a diffrent type of HD than the panasonic.? Because I hear lots of people saying that the type of HD done with the canon is not the same than the panasonic one..they keep telling me its not "real HD"...I do wedding and event video and at the moment the P2 cars doesn't seem like a smart choice because of the little amount of storage and expence of the cards...any insite.?

Pete Bauer November 2nd, 2006 09:40 AM

"They" don't know what they're talking about. Both cameras shoot "real HD." The HVX can record up to 1280x1080 (DVCProHD) onto the P2 cards, and the XL H1 records 1440x1080 HDV onto miniDV cassette tapes. Each camera does some things the other doesn't...different HD tools for different HD needs. I'd recommend spending some time browsing and searching through DVinfo to learn about the cameras, then go to a store and get a hands-on feel for them.

Javier Perez November 2nd, 2006 10:11 AM

will do...hey thanks for all the help guys I really do appreciate it...

Chris Hurd November 2nd, 2006 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier Perez
Just a diffrent type of HD than the panasonic.?

The Panasonic HVX200 records high definition video in the DVCPRO HD format at 100mbps.
The Canon XL H1 records high definition video in the HDV 1080i format at 25mbps.

Kevin Shaw November 4th, 2006 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier Perez
I hear lots of people saying that the type of HD done with the canon is not the same than the panasonic one..they keep telling me its not "real HD"...I do wedding and event video and at the moment the P2 cars doesn't seem like a smart choice because of the little amount of storage and expence of the cards...

There's a difference between the type of compression used to record HDV and the compression used to record DVCProHD, but saying one is 'real HD' and the other isn't is just silly. For wedding and event videography, HDV is a sensible and cost-effective HD format which customers can appreciate, while DVCProHD is impractical and unnecessary. If you plan to shoot HD for television broadcast purposes then DVCProHD makes more sense because it has to survive the rigors of broadcast recompression, but that's a whole different scenario. Ironically, by the time HDTV broadcasts get to viewers they're basically compressed back to the equivalent of HDV, so it's pointless to say that isn't real HD.