How do I convert Mac Quicktime HDV to a usable PC format? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old December 8th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #16
Major Player

Yes, I see your problem....
I have the same problem.....
But the reality is that PhotoJpeg is about
the only cross-platform solution. That is why
most stock houses go that route....
I have shooters send m2t files that I
have to convert to PhotoJpeg......
Do some checking out in the marketplace
and that is what you will find.
We do offer some clips in DVCPRO HD as well
and have some clips as the MAC HDV codecs.
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #17
Major Player

My guess is that they (QT HDV and M2T) have different headers and wrappers, but are otherwise very similar (I could be completely wrong). It might be just as simple as finding a programmer who knows the video programing ins and outs and see if the can write a simple and clean converter. Anybody know anybody? I would be willing to fund this on a micro budget scale.
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #18
Wrangler

the cross-platform issue is a real headache. i've been following this thread with interest, hoping that someone has solved it in a satisfactory way since it bit me. i'm still not reading anything here that seems more efficient or effective than to edit in FCP, output to tape, and re-import to the PC editor....transcoding doesn't save time, since those uncompressed file formats take hours to render anyway, and you end up with an unwieldy file size, as has been pointed out. plus, i wasted countless hours trying to avoid re-outputting to tape to solve the cross-platform issue, which only added to the headache. if i had just output to tape in the first place, i would have spent a few hours, rather than a few days, trying to make it work to my satisfaction.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks for clearing that up Cody!

Most Online Stock Footage Suppliers use only Quicktime/Photo JPEG.

I don't think M2T file is a very good delivery format as its a transport stream rather than a program stream.

Quicktime seems to be the real standard at this stage. If you decide to stick with Quicktime/HDV (which again isn't a good delivery format) and your clients NLE doesn't support the HDV codec, they can always use Quicktime to convert from one codec to the other using the "Save as" feature.

As for making a conversion program it's possible, and I would't think too hard (if you have a good knowledge of programming, MPEG-2, Quicktime, etc.), but I don't think there is any real motivation to do it.

QuickTime movies compressed using MPEG-4 audio and video codecs can be exported to MPEG-4 file format without recompression, allowing you to serve your movies in multiple formats (.mov and .mp4) without sacrificing quality or time. Maybe that's another option?
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #20
Major Player

Chris,

I really do appreciate your response. I will check into the MPEG-4 solution you mention.

I work daily with HD files. This includes doing all the in store processing for a Major Computer Megastore and a high profile banking institution and I see many different incarnations of HD coming through my edit suite. I also purchase stock footage from various large companies.

I would have to disagree with you a little bit on your opinion of QT HDV and m2t files. I find the HDV format to be quite useful in its ability to maintain such high image quality with such a small footprint. Since my source is HDV, I see no reason to upconvert for quality sakes. Also, it is so much more convenient to my customers to transfer and move the files. QT HDV works exceptionaly well with FCP and m2t files seem to be the answer for the PC side.

I must mention that I am talking about stock here, so I don't think the professionals will take issue. If they do, I could up convert my files and pretend that they are full on HD clips like a number of sources I have seen do. But instead, I hope to educate and believe in this excellent format. It is light years beyond SD.

On another note, I have put out a bid summary for someone to author that software and when I get it complete, I will provide it free of charge to anybody who wants it.

Cheers!
Old December 8th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #21
Major Player

Have you read these threads?

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=19007
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....9&postcount=43
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition