1st HD Camera Purchase - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old December 8th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #16
Contributor

Interesting. I never looked at the specs on the Z1, just shot with it. It didn't seem as wide to me. If it is, I retract the wide angle part of that comment and stick with the 20:1 part. I haven't shot with a Z1 since early September. I was always wishing for a little bit wider in the situations I was in, but I guess it's the same. After using the 20:1, I've become a believer in the longer end too. I actually used that the first day I shot exteriors. I still think wider is more important than longer, but if you can have both, that's very cool.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Actually, from the matrix link I posted above:

Focal Length XH A1:5.4-108mm HDR-FX1: 4.5mm-54mm
Min illum XH A1: 60i, 1/60 ss = 7 lux, 1/30 ss=4 lux; 24F, 1/48 ss = 6 lux HDR-FX1: 3 lux (Z1U 2 lux)

Being that the FX1 and Z1U share the same optics, wouldn't that indicate that the Sony actually has a wider angle?
Colin Ard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #18
Contributor

I don't know where you got your info, but it's not correct. The XH A1 is 4.5mm at the wide end. Did you get this from camcorderinfo? If so, that would be the source of error. Chris' specs here are always correct, as are the ones published by Canon.
Old December 8th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Serves me right for not checking specs on the manufacturers sites...
Old December 8th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #20
Contributor

Actually you can usually get the specs right here in the Watchdog quicker and easier than the manufacturer's site. I've never caught an error in Chris's info, but have found a number of mistakes before at B&H and on camcorderinfo.
Old December 9th, 2006, 02:55 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Ard
I do not do much 24p, but I do spend almost all my time in 30p. XL-A1?

So now I guess the ultimate question is: Sony HVR-Z1U or Canon

Given that 30p is your prime wish, do you not think it logical to strive for a HD110? I mean your debating between two interlaced cams for the job of a slightly more expensive progressive cam? You have to decide what your real priorities are. Unless it is all about money and you stuck at the $4500 and under level, dismissing the cam that was made to shoot in your preferred mode just seems ... well..wrong. Gather a few bucks and get what you desire.
Old December 9th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hodson
Given that 30p is your prime wish, do you not think it logical to strive for a HD110? I mean your debating between two interlaced cams for the job of a slightly more expensive progressive cam?
First of all, whether the chips are interlace or progressive hardly makes any difference anymore. The Sony CineFrame 30 mode is a fairly decent emulation of 30P. And for all practical purposes, Canon's Frame mode 30F *is* 30P. Frame mode is indistinguishable from progressive scan, and CineFrame 30 is close enough to it that most people can't tell the difference.

Second, while the JVC ProHd series GY-HD110 is the most popular HD camera discussed on this site, its price range is clearly out of his reach as he's stated before. If he's primarily interested in 30P at or below $4000, then he's definitely on the right track with the Canon A1 or Sony Z1 or V1.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Just thought I would post an update:
I ended up going for the Z1U. Partially because I can shoot NTSC and PAL, mainly because I found one heck of a deal from a retiring shooter (ahhh, to retire and ski all day, that would be the life!). Almost brand new (time codes are all at 1X10hr) Z1U, ECM-678 shotgun, two FS4-HD's, two NPF970 batts and BC-V500 charger, a Gitzo G1348 Mk2 & a G126 tripod, B/M 501 head, Edirol R-4 digital recorder, Digi-lux light kit and Bescor PRB-18 batt. pack and various accessories for $5500. score!!

I dare anyone to tell me that I bought the wrong camera ... ok, maybe not dare, but at least it all fit reasonably into my budget.

Thanks again for all the help and input from everyone. If I was not looking for the cameras that I was, I never would have found that deal.

Once I recover from this one, next stop: research into stabilizers!
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #24
Inner Circle

It's a great camera and you'll love it! Welcome to the world of HD.

Mike
Old December 20th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #25
Contributor

Sounds like an excellent deal. That would be an offer very difficult to refuse. I've shot with the Z1 actually more than I have with my new XH A1, and there's nothing to dislike about it.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition