DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Tough Decision: A1 or V1u? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/82150-tough-decision-a1-v1u.html)

Jason Aumont December 20th, 2006 08:42 AM

Tough Decision: A1 or V1u?

I'm going back and forth on this decision, and I just can't seem to make up my mind. Since I've been following these forums for a while, I thought I'd ask y'all what made you decide to choose one over the other (yup, this is a cross post).

From what I've seen, read, and held (@ B&H) these cams are pretty close, but here are the advantages I think one has over the other:

A1
-Better Low Light Performance
-Slightly Better Lens (always loved Canon lenses)
-Ability to shoot PAL & NTSC (after factory conversion - I do work in Europe sometimes)
-Slightly Better Depth of Field
-$300 less than V1u (can go towards PAL convert)

V1u
-Larger LCD Finder
-Lack of Smear (CMOS)
-Better Audio Processing
-I do like Sony products

So if there is anything that I am missing that you would add to either column, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jason

Greg Boston December 20th, 2006 08:53 AM

Jason, I am moving your thread to Open DV Discussion. We do not allow cross posting at DVINFO because we want all responses in one thread to help those who are searching for information later on.

Thanks for your understanding,

Greg Boston

Rick Hensley December 20th, 2006 09:36 AM

its $500 difference isnt it, at least at B&H it is?

Harm Millaard December 20th, 2006 09:53 AM

Jason,

I'm in the same situation and possibly my remarks will make things even muddier, but here are, in addition to the differences you already noted, some other differences (based on hearsay, so I may be wrong):

Canon A1:
+ better OIS
+ faster IAF
+ better custom profiles, more tuning capabilities
+ separate IRIS ring on the lens

Sony V1:
+ lighter in weight
+ compatible with my current Sony batteries, offsetting the price difference
+ HDVSplit supports Sony, but not Canon
- Current 25P issues

Jason Strongfield December 20th, 2006 10:05 AM

The Canon A1 customization capability is simply AMAZING. I have not used the V1 myself so its not fair for me to comment or give advice on it.

Again, it all depends on what you want to use the camera for (wedding, narrative, documentary ...etc).

Chris Hurd December 20th, 2006 10:17 AM

Moved from Open DV (thanks Greg!) to General HD / HDV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Aumont
I'm going back and forth on this decision, and I just can't seem to make up my mind.

Jason, my advice is to take a short trip across the river into Manhattan and visit either B&H or Abel Cine where these camcorders are (or soon will be) on display for you to touch and try. The right one for you is the one which feels best in your hands. The one which appeals to you the most, is the right one for you. Nothing else matters nearly so much as this.

Why don't you check them out for yourself, and tell us what your own impressions are? Thanks in advance,

Jason Strongfield December 20th, 2006 10:50 AM

Or if you can wait till NAB. Something is telling me that Panasonic is going to replace the dvx100b :) just a gut feeling though, no concrete evidence.

Bill Pryor December 20th, 2006 11:02 AM

I'll bet a cuppa coffee you won't see a replacement for the DVX100b at NAB this year. How about an HVX200 that records HDV to tape for those who don't want the P2 hassle?

But back to the subject at hand...I still don't see the V1 as being in the same category camera as the XH A1. True, the CMOS chips are supposedly going to look better than the same size CCDs would look, but when you compare a 1/4" chip camera to a 1/3" chip camera you also need to look at low light performance, depth of field issues and how the wide shots look. Wide shots from smaller chip cameras always look softer to me than the same shots from bigger chip cameras.

This is not to dis the Sony, but I would take the Z1 over the V1 easily, and I preferred the A1 over the Z1, which is why I bought it. For me 24P(F) is nice, all other things being equal. But I would not want to drop down in chip size to get it. If I had stayed with Sony, it would be the Z1 for sure (and it's a very nice camera; I've shot with it quite a bit).

Chris Hurd December 20th, 2006 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Strongfield
Or if you can wait till NAB.

If you're waiting, you're not creating. If you have something to shoot now, then now is always the right time to buy. Waiting for NAB means waiting for new product announcements... and then more waiting for those announcements to turn into actual shipping products... and then more waiting for the first user reports to come in... and by that time, you're back to the same point where you might as well wait for the next NAB. A pointless cycle if there ever was one. The gear that's been out for well over a year is more than adequate for just about anything you'd want to shoot. I'd never tell anyone to wait for NAB anymore.

Tom Hardwick December 20th, 2006 12:15 PM

Chris nails it: ''If you have something to shoot now, then now is always the right time to buy.''.

Get on board, there's a helluva lot to learn and tomorrow you'll be another day behind.

tom.

Jerome Marot December 20th, 2006 02:18 PM

A1
-wide angle

V1u
-smaller and lighter
-availability of histogram while shooting
-IMO: better ergonomics

(This being said, I chose the A1 for the better low-light capability...)

Rick Hensley December 20th, 2006 03:20 PM

compare A1 and V1

check this thread for a list of features comparison between these two cameras
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=82181

Chris Barcellos December 20th, 2006 08:34 PM

For me, already having the FX1, I like the idea of the V1U, because it:

Shares the same Infolithium battery system

Provides a form factor closer to my VX2000 in terms of size. For some situations the A1, as the FX-1, will be obtrusive.

Produces a dang good picture.

Seems to provide a wider exposure latitude.

Will let me experiment with 30p and 24p output to see what all the fuss is about.

I have come to expect rugged dependability out of my Sony's, and expect that will continue.

Peter Ferling December 20th, 2006 09:48 PM

Chris Hurd is right, in both accounts. I also rubbed my palms over a chance to test out a V1U. In the end, I got a canon as I needed it to get work done. Since I do mostly corporate video, either of those camera's would do well for me.

I also have older canon gear, and I seldomly change my brand of beer... uh, I mean camera. Though I have strayed from the narrow way and picked up a Sony HC1, I've come back to the canon product due to familiarity in handling, and interchangeable accessories. I feel happy with my purchase and I can move on get work done. You may feel the same sticking with a Sony product.

Toenis Liivamaegi December 22nd, 2006 07:35 AM

XHA1 vs VFX7 side by side video comparsion

One of the first side by side video and still comparsions of those cams.
http://www.fxsupport.de/15.html (unfortunately it is in German)

One thing is sure, Sony is so much noisier than Canon and not as sensitve in low light that was to be expected.

Cheers,
T