Capturing HDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old December 30th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Capturing HDV

I'm thinking about getting the HV10. I had thought capturing HD would use nearly the same as space as SD. Is that right? Or if different for native, non-native, compressed, uncompressed, I'd love to know the different amounts.

thanks,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes, capturing to a PC, HD is the same filesize as SD. At least it is with Vegas 7 capturing to raw m2t files.

Last edited by Ron Chau; December 30th, 2006 at 09:57 PM.
Ron Chau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #3
Trustee

If you use Premiere Pro or Vegas, and you use the Cineform codec, then where DV takes just under 13GB for an hour of video, Cineform takes 40GB at the Medium setting.
Old December 30th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Native HDV 1080i 60 is about 12gb per hour. Apple Intermediate Codec (1080i, 60) is about 42gb per hour.
Eric Dyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 10:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

If so large, why do people capture using Cineform or Apple Intermediate? They're termed non-native, right?

But isin't editing native fairly simple? If there are explanations/tutorials somewhere let me know, please.

And if one captures HD as SD to edit, when recapturing you have to re-edit the footage, right, at lease time code-wise, and in different sequences, you can't just link HD footage into the SD timeline.

Any opinion as to which is the simplest way to go?

thanks,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 10:48 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Lang
If so large, why do people capture using Cineform or Apple Intermediate? They're termed non-native, right?

But isin't editing native fairly simple? If there are explanations/tutorials somewhere let me know, please.

thanks,
elmer
HDV uses a GOP natively. Group of Frames. It's a method of sampling that doesn't capture full frames--so each frame often may not have the full amount of data on it. NLE's don't like that--it bogs them down and things like colorc correcting don't work very well.

So the intermediates convert the sampled GOP frames into full frames which makes editing a snap.

I use vegas 6 on a single 3ghz P4 and it work perfectly with cineform.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 11:12 AM   #7
Trustee

It is very difficult for a PC to figure out each frame when it has to go back a few and forward a few just to figure out that one frame. SO as stated above, converting to an intermediate codec, like Cineform, helps the PC do the job in real time. I seldom render until after I start color correcting. No need. And sometimes not even then.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition