Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,488
HD recording formats

It struck me today that the variety of available and proposed HD recording formats is expanding to a point which is becoming difficult to track, so I'm starting a list here which we can add to as new formats come along. Have I missed anything we currently know about?

HDV 720/30p: 1280x720 MPEG2-TS @ 19 Mbps, 4:2:0, MP2 audio
HDV 1080/50i-60i (PAL-NTSC): 1440x1080 MPEG2-TS @ 25 Mbps, 4:2:0, MP2 audio
HDV 1080/24f (Canon): 1440x1080 MPEG2-TS @ 25 Mbps, 4:2:0, MP2 audio

JVC "FHD" 1080/60i: 1920x1080 MPEG2-TS @ <30 Mbps, 4:2:0 (?), MP2 audio
JVC "SP" 1080/60i: 1440x1080 MPEG2-TS @ <22 Mbps, 4:2:0 (?), MP2 audio
JVC "CBR" 1080/60i: 1440x1080 MPEG2-TS @ 27 Mbps, 4:2:0 (?), MP2 audio

XDCAM HD: 1440x1080 MPEG2-TS @ 18-25-35 Mbps, 4:2:2, PCM audio

DVCProHD 720 (varying frame rates): 960x720 @ 40-100 Mbps, 4:2:2, PCM audio
DVCProHD 1080/50i: 1440x1080 @ 100 Mbps, 4:2:2, PCM audio
DVCProHD 1080/60i: 1280x1080 @ 100 Mbps, 4:2:2, PCM audio

AVCHD 720/24p-50p-60p: 1280x720 H.264 @ <24 Mbps, 4:2:0 (?), AC3 audio
AVCHD 1080/24p-50i-60i: 1440x1080 or 1920x1080 H.264 @ <24 Mbps, 4:2:0 (?), AC3 audio

AVC-intra (pending): expect 1920x1080 H.264 @ <50 Mbps, 4:2:2, PCM (?) audio, plus advanced version at higher bit rate

HDCAM: 1440x1080 @ 144 Mbps, 3:1:1, (?) audio
also HDCAM SR

Cineform Raw: 10-bit 1920x1080 @ ~ 80-100 Mbps, 5:1 Wavelet, (?) audio

MJPEG2000: 10-bit 4:2:2 - other details?

Redcode: see http://red.com/technology.htm
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:42 AM   #2
New Boot
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 12
SheerVideo from BitJazz
Etienne Botha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #3
Trustee
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 1,315
My impression is this list is stricktly format/codecs that cams currently shoot, no? So that would leave Sheervideo out and I'm not too certain about the last two on Kevin's list. Probably some indie cam using an intermediate PC for recording. Can anyone tell me what shoots Cineform raw and Mjpeg2000 so I can be in the loop. ;>)
__________________
Damnit Jim, I'm a film maker not a sysytems tech.
Ken Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #4
New Boot
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 12
Call it wishfull thinking on my part. :)

Lossless HD recording to a cheap RAID on a mac.

Hoping anyway
Etienne Botha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 212
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
It struck me today that the variety of available and proposed HD recording formats is expanding to a point which is becoming difficult to track, so I'm starting a list here which we can add to as new formats come along. Have I missed anything we currently know about?

HDV 720/30p: 1280x720 MPEG2-TS @ 19 Mbps, 4:2:0, MP2 audio
HDV 1080/50i-60i (PAL-NTSC): 1440x1080 MPEG2-TS @ 25 Mbps, 4:2:0, MP2 audio
HDV 1080/24f (Canon): 1440x1080 MPEG2-TS @ 25 Mbps, 4:2:0, MP2 audio

JVC "FHD" 1080/60i: 1920x1080 MPEG2-TS @ <30 Mbps, 4:2:0 (?), MP2 audio
JVC "SP" 1080/60i: 1440x1080 MPEG2-TS @ <22 Mbps, 4:2:0 (?), MP2 audio
JVC "CBR" 1080/60i: 1440x1080 MPEG2-TS @ 27 Mbps, 4:2:0 (?), MP2 audio

XDCAM HD: 1440x1080 MPEG2-TS @ 18-25-35 Mbps, 4:2:2, PCM audio

DVCProHD 720 (varying frame rates): 960x720 @ 40-100 Mbps, 4:2:2, PCM audio
DVCProHD 1080/50i: 1440x1080 @ 100 Mbps, 4:2:2, PCM audio
DVCProHD 1080/60i: 1280x1080 @ 100 Mbps, 4:2:2, PCM audio

AVCHD 720/24p-50p-60p: 1280x720 H.264 @ <24 Mbps, 4:2:0 (?), AC3 audio
AVCHD 1080/24p-50i-60i: 1440x1080 or 1920x1080 H.264 @ <24 Mbps, 4:2:0 (?), AC3 audio

AVC-intra (pending): expect 1920x1080 H.264 @ <50 Mbps, 4:2:2, PCM (?) audio, plus advanced version at higher bit rate

HDCAM: 1440x1080 @ 144 Mbps, 3:1:1, (?) audio
also HDCAM SR

Cineform Raw: 10-bit 1920x1080 @ ~ 80-100 Mbps, 5:1 Wavelet, (?) audio

MJPEG2000: 10-bit 4:2:2 - other details?

Redcode: see http://red.com/technology.htm
Am I seeing wrong?

"DIGIC DV ll HD Image Processor

DIGIC DV II is the next generation of Canon's exclusive DIGIC DV signal processing technology. DIGIC DV II processes the HD signal at 1440 x 1080 with 4:2:2 color sampling. Designed specifically for processing the immense volume of information in 1080 HD signals, DIGIC DV II ensures optimal image quality for HD video."

**HD signal at 1440 x 1080 with 4:2:2 color sampling** is this true?
__________________
Tomas A. Chinchilla | CANON XH A1, HV20 & HC3 | Retired Cams: GL2, HC1, FX1, Z1, | Final Cut Studio 2
Tomas Chinchilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Croydon, England
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
HDV 720/30p: 1280x720 MPEG2-TS @ 19 Mbps, 4:2:0, MP2 audio
HDV 1080/50i-60i (PAL-NTSC): 1440x1080 MPEG2-TS @ 25 Mbps, 4:2:0, MP2 audio
HDV 1080/24f (Canon): 1440x1080 MPEG2-TS @ 25 Mbps, 4:2:0, MP2 audio[/url]
What about HDV 720/24p and HDV 720/25p?
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #7
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Belfast, UK
Posts: 3,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hodson
My impression is this list is stricktly format/codecs that cams currently shoot, no? So that would leave Sheervideo out and I'm not too certain about the last two on Kevin's list. Probably some indie cam using an intermediate PC for recording. Can anyone tell me what shoots Cineform raw and Mjpeg2000 so I can be in the loop. ;>)
The SI 2K shoots Cineform RAW and the Thompson Infinity will do MJPEG 2000 as one of it's formats.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #8
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Chinchilla
Am I seeing wrong?
**HD signal at 1440 x 1080 with 4:2:2 color sampling** is this true?
This is the first level of sampling. The data is then coded into 4:2:0 25mb/sec MPG2 "HDV" when it hits the tape compressor. However, the HD-SDI output does bypass the tape compressor, spitting out the 4:2:2 data at 1.5Gb/sec.
Adam Burtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 212
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Burtle
This is the first level of sampling. The data is then coded into 4:2:0 25mb/sec MPG2 "HDV" when it hits the tape compressor. However, the HD-SDI output does bypass the tape compressor, spitting out the 4:2:2 data at 1.5Gb/sec.
Thank you.
__________________
Tomas A. Chinchilla | CANON XH A1, HV20 & HC3 | Retired Cams: GL2, HC1, FX1, Z1, | Final Cut Studio 2
Tomas Chinchilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #10
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Colony, TX
Posts: 5,935
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
XDCAM HD: 1440x1080 MPEG2-TS @ 18-25-35 Mbps, 4:2:2, PCM audio
XDCAM HD is 4:2:0 when written to disc. However, if you use component (F330) or HDSDI (F350) output, you get 4:2:2 uncompressed..

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #11
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tokyo/Sydney
Posts: 297
[QUOTE=Kevin Shaw]

"HDCAM: 1440x1080 @ 144 Mbps, 3:1:1, (?) audio
also HDCAM SR"



HDCAM Records 1920x1080

HDCAM SR records 1920x1080 4:4:4
__________________
"eyes through a digital world"
Jemore Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #12
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Columbia, CT
Posts: 168
HDCAM indeed is 1440x1080 and then upsampled on output.

I found this post in another forum a while ago:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2...hp?t13992.html

Cheers,

Greg
Greg Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #13
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kerala, India
Posts: 74
Avid DNX HD.
Ikegami Editcam records to this codec.
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #14
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kerala, India
Posts: 74
Avid DNX HD.
Ikegami Editcam records to this codec.
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #15
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kerala, India
Posts: 74
HD recording formats

Avid DNX HD.
Ikagami Editcam Records to this codec
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 




Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:53 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2014 The Digital Video Information Network