Robustness on the Road at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 7th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Robustness on the Road

Hi all.

After much testing to find a camera to take on the road for world tour documentary I am leaning heavily in favour of the XL-H1.
Mainly because of it's image quality and ergonomics.

I have used the XL1 before and found that it hated humidity, more so than any other camera I've used since. As there is a very good chance some of the countries we'll be visiting will be very humid, has anyone had any experience taking this camera on the road and how it handled these situations?

We will be taking two cameras (Probably the XL-H1 and the XH-A1) two camera kits. (Tripods, monopods mics etc) and one lighting kit.
If people have general comments or tips they would like to offer for things to look out for, extra gear to take on an extended shoot going across the globe I would love to hear it.
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Lander View Post
If people have general comments or tips they would like to offer for things to look out for, extra gear to take on an extended shoot going across the globe I would love to hear it.
You might want to look at our travel tips here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91179
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
You might want to look at our travel tips here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91179
Great wealth of information for travelling with airlines and your gear there.
Very useful indeed. But not what I'm after.

What I really want to know is how the XL-H1 handles humidity. If it has inherited it's predecessor's poor performance in humid conditions and if there are any tips to help deal with it. Or is it best left alone and go with a different model.

Plus any thoughts on putting together a kit that can travel globally would be greatly appreciated. Things I'm interested in are keeping weight down.
Using lights in countries that have differing power standards. Things that you wish you had taken when you went away.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition