DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   DvRack Hd Pack - alternatives (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/93988-dvrack-hd-pack-alternatives.html)

Roberto Longo May 14th, 2007 03:45 AM

DvRack Hd Pack - alternatives

Hi all,

Serious magic's DvRack has been bought by adobe and it will become Adobe OnLocation.
The point is that Onlocation is not avaylable till Premiere pro cs3 will be done.
I wonder, does exist any alternative for it?
I just need it to record by notebook and use notebook as monitor.

Thanks in advance.

My apologize for my bloody english ;)
Roberto

Ervin Farkas May 14th, 2007 11:02 AM

DVRack (at least theoretically) is still available at several vendors. But if you're looking for the free tryout version, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Ken Hodson May 14th, 2007 04:03 PM

Video Lan VLC media player, has a stream capture option. It's free.

Roberto Longo May 15th, 2007 01:08 AM

Thanks 4 replies.

Ken, I was thinking about VLC, I know it can do something but. How is its behaviour with prohd from jvc? Does it capture 720 24p? In that case, can I choose to capture using cineform intermediate codec?

Thanks in advance, Roberto

Ken Hodson May 15th, 2007 04:43 PM

How it woks with the 24p I don't know. We used to capture to the HD1/10's back in the day with it. Search the JVC HD1/10 forums and you might find something. Or ask in the HD100 forums. I don't see why it would have any problems. Just capturing the stream.
The program is capturing directly from firewire into the MT2 format. Simply capturing the stream coming out of the cams encoder. I don't believe the software has the ability to render out this stream to a different codec. Thats what you would use your cineform software for after the capture is done.
Test it and see how it works for you.

Andy Tejral May 15th, 2007 04:57 PM

I just bought DV Rack from Adobe. Download for $499 (US). I don't know if it is available outside the US though.

Roberto Longo May 16th, 2007 01:05 AM

I have done some tests yesterday night.
VLC works fine with any frame rate, it gives chanche to choose some codecs but not an external one (as cineform)
I have tried both mpeg ts and raw and works well.
The only small problem is a delay of ruffly 0.5 sec to display images. But it is perfect to use notebook as tapeless solution and to see a full screen image (dvrack gives only less than half screen) during composition of the scene. Of course it cannot help adjusting focus because of the delay.

Ken Hodson May 16th, 2007 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberto Longo (Post 680272)
The only small problem is a delay of ruffly 0.5 sec to display images. But it is perfect to use notebook as tapeless solution and to see a full screen image (dvrack gives only less than half screen) during composition of the scene. Of course it cannot help adjusting focus because of the delay.

You will always have a delay due to the MP2 compressor as far as I know. It will never spit out the MT2 stream in real time due to the actual compression. DVrack always gives me about a 1/2 second delay.

By the way Roberto your name is amazingly close to a local hero of ours. In fact he is at almost God like staus in these parts despite his last play of the season. If you ever visit Vancouver you would be highly advised to wave you ID around for instant friends/beer/food. If you look like him you can add hot babes to the list!

Roberto Longo May 17th, 2007 02:14 AM

LOL who is he?
I am the real one!! :)

whats is his name?

Ken Hodson May 17th, 2007 03:35 PM

I thought I gave enough hints. If you Google your own name plus Vancouver, you will find the first two spots are of the NHL soon to be MVP, and the third is this thread.